[Peace-discuss] WaPo: Liberals, Dems, Women Abandon Afghan War

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Aug 20 14:01:42 CDT 2009

	What happened to the antiwar movement?
	Cindy Sheehan hits 'hypocrisy' of Left, Democratic allies.
	By: Byron York
	08/18/09 11:19 PM EDT

After my column, "For the left, war without Bush is not war at all," [POSTED TO
PEACE-DISCUSS AS "LIBERAL OPINION"] appeared Tuesday, I got a note from Cindy
Sheehan, the anti-war activist who was the subject of so much press coverage
when she led a protest against the Iraq war outside then-President George W.
Bush's ranch in Texas.  This is what the note said:

  "I read your column about the 'anti-war' movement and I can't believe I am
saying this, but I mostly agree with you.

  "The 'anti-war' 'left' was used by the Democratic Party. I like to call it the
'anti-Republican War' movement.

  "While I agree with you about the hypocrisy of such sites as the DailyKos, I
have known for a long time that the Democrats are equally responsible with the
Republicans. That's why I left the party in May 2007 and that's why I ran for
Congress against Nancy Pelosi in 2008.

  "I have my own radio show, 'Cindy Sheehan's Soapbox,' and I was out on a
four-month book tour promoting the fact that it's not about Democrats or
Republicans, but it's about the system.

  "Even if I am surrounded by a thousand, or no one, I am still working for peace."

	Sincerely,
	Cindy Sheehan

After receiving the email, I asked Sheehan to give me a call, so I could verify
that the note in fact came from her.  She did, and we discussed her plans to
protest next week in Martha's Vineyard, where President Obama will be
vacationing.  "I think people are starting to wake up to the fact that even if
they supported Obama, he doesn't represent much change," Sheehan said.  "There
are people still out here who oppose the war and Obama's policies, but it seems
like the big organizations with the big lists aren't here."

I asked Sheehan about the fact that the press seems to have lost interest in her
and her cause.  "It's strange to me that you mention it," she said.  "I haven't
stopped working.  I've been protesting every time I can, and it's not covered.
But the one time I did get a lot of coverage was when I protested in front of
George Bush's house in Dallas in June.  I don't know what to make of it.  Is the
press having a honeymoon with Obama?  I know the Left is."

After the protests in Massachusetts -- Sheehan told me she has no idea how many
people might show up -- Sheehan will be in Washington October 5, for a protest
at the White House to mark the eight anniversary of the start of the war in
Afghanistan.  Not only is the president escalating the war there, she said, but
he's not withdrawing U.S. troops from Iraq as quickly as he originally promised.
"That's why I was opposed to him," she said.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/What-happened-to-the-antiwar-movement--Cindy-Sheehan-responds-53628177.html