[Peace-discuss] WaPo: Liberals, Dems, Women Abandon Afghan War

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Thu Aug 20 16:49:46 CDT 2009

Ah; but the rub is that students grow up to be the teachers.  As teachers,
they perpetuate the non-skeptical and non-questioning attitude, which now is
replaced with real professional and economic vested interests in not
questioning as opposed to when they were students and it was a matter of the
authority and power relationship between student and teacher that kept then
uncritical vessels for the ranting of their professors.  It would appear
that each generation of teachers teaches the next to be less and less
critical and more and more accepting of the established discourse.  Each
generation of teachers teaches the next generation of teachers to be dumber
and dumber relying more and more on a highly in-the-box technical
perspective with great reliance on technology over critical intellectual
thinking. The more things change the more they stay the same.

From: peace-discuss-bounces at lists.chambana.net
[mailto:peace-discuss-bounces at lists.chambana.net] On Behalf Of Morton K.
Brussel
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:08 PM
To: C.G.Estabrook
Cc: Peace-discuss List
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] WaPo: Liberals, Dems, Women Abandon Afghan War

Chomsky not so infrequently over reaches, as in the assertions below.

Chomsky puts students on the same level as their teachers; most students do
not have confidence enough, knowledge enough, or are not well read or
experienced enough to challenge what is being told to them in their classes.
They do not have enough self command to say to their teachers: That's a
ridiculous lie. You're an idiot .

Perhaps Chomsky is projecting onto others his own experience, but I don't
believe that that's an extrapolation that should be made.

But yes, I would agree that students generally do not have enough skepticism
inbred in them in their prior lives.

One should also be skeptical of Chomsky, all the while respecting generally
what he has to say.

--mkb