[Peace-discuss] By How Many Days Can We Shorten This War?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Aug 21 10:55:43 CDT 2009

Our goal shouldn't be to get the Senate to talk about an exit strategy but to
honor the wishes of the people in the countries we are invading and occupying,
from Palestine to Pakistan.  Those wishes seem overwhelmingly that we leave.

After being given control of Congress in 2006 to end the war, the Democrats lied
about their continuing support for the war by saying that they were insisting on
a "time line."  Obama did the same in 2008.  Talk of "exit strategy" is more of
the same.

The late San Francisco Chronicle columnist Herb Caen wrote long ago of Vietnam,
"People ask how we get out ... The same way we got in -- by using ships and planes."