[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Program note - "Yes Weekend!"

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Aug 21 17:27:58 CDT 2009

[Ron Szoke describes this campaign on tonight's "News from Neptune" on UPTV,
cable channel 6, at 7pm.  --CGE]

	'German Borat' shakes up election

A fictional candidate "campaigning" for Germany's parliamentary elections next
month would win 18% of the votes if he stood, an opinion poll suggests.

Horst Schlaemmer is not even a real person, let alone a real candidate.

Played by comedian Hape Kerkeling, the spoof would-be chancellor has spiced up a
campaign criticised as dreary.

His campaign slogan "Yes weekend" is inspired by Barack Obama, and he has
pledged to replace Germany's national emblem - the eagle - with a bunny.

Horst Schlaemmer has become so popular that his spoof "campaign launch" was
broadcast live on two TV networks and reportedly attracted more than 100
journalists.

Free cosmetic surgery

In real life, Hape Kerkeling is a German comedian and TV presenter who has been
one of the country's most popular impersonators for many years.

The 44-year-old once arrived at a German presidential reception dressed up as
Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands.

He is often compared to British comedian Sacha Baron Cohen, who has gained
worldwide fame through his characters Ali G, Borat and Bruno.

Ahead of his new film, he further blurred the lines between fact and fiction by
launching the Horst Schlaemmer Party.

With his old-fashioned glasses, ratty moustache, grey wig and funny accent, the
spoof candidate cuts a distinctive figure ahead of Germany's legislative
elections on 27 September.

Describing his fake party as "conservative, liberal, left-wing and a bit
ecological", Mr Schlaemmer's manifesto includes proposals like securing a 2,500
euro (£2,160) monthly salary for all Germans, public funding for sunbeds and
more cash for cosmetic surgery.

Kerkeling's new movie, Isch Kandidiere (I Candidate), was released in cinemas
this week and is expected to be a major late-summer hit.

The film tells the story of Horst Schlaemmer, the unhappy deputy editor of a
local paper in a grey city, who decides to run for chancellor.

After running an eclectic campaign, he finally gathers a small 0.4% of the votes.

But in a real-life poll conducted last week for the German newspaper Stern, no
fewer than 18% of those interviewed said they would vote for Horst Schlaemmer if
he were to stand in next month's parliamentary elections.

By injecting a dose of humour into the German political race, Mr Schlaemmer has
boosted interest in an otherwise grey campaign, analysts say.

"Schlaemmer is an alternative to your usual grey-suited politician in Germany,"
Gero Neugebauer, a political scientist at the Free University in Berlin, told
AFP news agency.

"The boring campaign makes Schlaemmer more interesting."