[Peace-discuss] WaPo: Liberals, Dems, Women Abandon Afghan War

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Aug 22 18:19:02 CDT 2009

Mort--

You avoid answering the question I asked, which is what you think the reason is
that you allude to but don't explain when you say, "Why Estabrook reveals his
animus now is disturbing, but not surprising."

I implied nothing about what you may or may not have "expressed ... to the
magazine," so it can hardly be a "typical ... erroneous inference."

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt when I said that you must not have
read Finkelstein's material, because a reasonable person doing so could hardly
say that a charge of holocaust-denial was "water over the dam." I presumed that
you couldn't know that that was the subject.

Self-knowledge in these matters is admittedly difficult, but I don't think I
particularly antagonize people who agree with me -- so much as antagonize people
I disagree with when they think I should agree with them because of other shared
opinions.  (E.g., "If you're against the war, you've got to support Obama!"  No,
I don't.)  Each side thinks the other inconsistent.

I disagree with you on the quality of TP under different editors: it was better
under Knoll, I think. And I do think the most important thing it's done recently
is smear Finkelstein.  The fact that it also publishes useful material (you keep
mentioning Zinn and Klein, but I think I'm right that there's been no Chomsky
recently) -- often available elsewhere -- doesn't make up for the smear on this
person and this issue.

The link between TP and TNR -- which I made explicitly, not implicitly -- is
that they are both traditionally liberal journals in which I wouldn't object to
Chomsky's publishing, but which a "decent person" shouldn't support by
subscription or donation.

Regards, Carl