[Peace-discuss] Unreal estate

Ron Szoke r-szoke at illinois.edu
Sun Aug 23 21:17:51 CDT 2009

My Bible states in a note to Lev. 25:23 that the Land was considered to belong
to the Lord.  It could not be private property, "to be bought and sold
speculatively."

"Although there is no evidence that the jubilee program was ever carried out,
the law opposed foreign conceptions of property that resulted in the
swallowing up of ancestral holdings," mentioning also 1 Kings 21:3 & Isa. 5:8.
(_New Oxford Annotated Bible_, NRSV, ed. Metzger & Murphy, p. 158 OT.)

It seems that the notion of private property in land was as foreign to the
ancient Israelites as it was to "Native Americans:  in, say, 1490.

Prof. Eric Freyfogle of our law school has some interesting things to say about
related matters.

-- Ron