[Peace-discuss] When You Comin' Back, Red Ryder?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 24 12:55:00 CDT 2009

Ah, yes, the great mass of progressives...

And what's the price of admission to that unnumbered throng?  Unquestioning
fealty to the assertion that theological thinking is irrational?

Uh, if you're considering broadening the membership requirements at all, you
might like the new book by the Marxist critic Terry Eagleton, "Reason, Faith,
and Revolution: Reflections on the God Debate" (The 2008 Terry Lectures --
delivered at, of all places, Yale).

+++

And now, for Today's Prize (to be announced along with the winner), name the
Former Progressive -- now, sadly, apparently no longer a member of the Great
Mass -- who recently wrote the following (no googling!):

   "But what is a conservative meant to think? Since the major preoccupation of
liberals for 30 years has been the right to kill embryos, why should they not be
suspect in their intentions toward those gasping in the thin air of senility?
There is a strong eugenic thread to American progressivism, most horribly
expressed in its very successful campaign across much of the twentieth century
to sterilize “imbeciles.” Abortion is now widening in its function as a eugenic
device. Women in their 40s take fertility drugs, then abort the inconvenient
twins, triplets or quadruplets when they show up on the scan.

   "In 1972, a year before the Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade decision legalized
abortion on demand nationwide, virtually all children with trisomy 21, or Down
syndrome, were born. Less than a decade later, with the widespread availability
of pre-natal genetic testing, as many as 90 percent of women whose babies were
pre-natally diagnosed with the genetic condition chose to abort the child.

   "One survey of 499 primary care physicians treating women carrying these
babies, however, indicated that only 4 percent actively encourage women to bring
Down syndrome babies to term. A story on the CNS News Service last year quoted
Dr. Will Johnston, president of Canadian Physicians for Life, reacted to the
American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) pre-natal testing
endorsement as another step toward eugenics.“The progress of eugenic abortion
into the heart of our society is a classic example of “mission creep,’ ” Johnson
said. “In the 1960s, we were told that legal abortion would be a rare tragic act
in cases of exceptional hardship. In the ’70s abortion began to be both decried
and accepted as birth control. In the ’80s respected geneticists pointed out
that it was cheaper to hunt for and abort Down’s babies than to raise them. By
the ’90s that observation had been widely put into action. Now we are refining
and extending our eugenic vision, with new tests and abortion as our central
tools.”

   "So if we have mission creep  in the opening round, what’s to persuade people
that there won’t be mission creep at the other and the kindly official
discussing living wills won’t tiptoe out of the ward and tell the hospital that
the old fellow he’s just conferred with is ripe to meet his maker. The author of
the provision – now dropped – in the health bill before Congress – for  “end of
life” counseling was Democratic Rep Earl Blumenauer of Oregon. Blumenauer has
denounced the “death panel” description as a  “terrible falsehood.” Maybe so.
But Blumenauer is hot for “death with dignity”, as a speech he made in Congress
in 2000 makes clear: “A major concern [in an attempted revision of the Balanced
Budget Act]is a provision that would criminalize decisions doctors make on pain
management for the most seriously ill and overturn Oregon's Death with Dignity
Act. Oregonians have twice voted to support the assisted suicide law. H.R. 2614
not only is an attack on the Democratic process, but also threatens to pain
management. There is evidence that doctors are increasingly hesitant to
prescribe pain medications to terminally ill patients for fear of being accused
of unlawfully assisting a suicide. The on-going attempts by Congress to
criminalize the doctor-patient relationship are a threat to pain management in
all fifty states.”

   "For forty years, every American president has deprecated the powers of
government to improve the public weal. Why now should Americans believe that any
government-backed “health reform” will do them any good, as opposed to assigning
them the appropriate lifespan, relative to their income and contributions to the
corporate bottom line, which is what the present system amounts to?"

--CGE (who likes the title of this thread)