[Peace-discuss] Feingold to Obama: Announce Withdrawal Timetable from Afghanistan

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 24 20:42:10 CDT 2009

How seriously would we have taken a senator who said this about Vietnam 40 years
ago?  By then (1969) Nixon and Kissinger themselves were saying that they were
"discussing a flexible timetable so that people around the world can see when we
are going to bring our troops out" -- as they did, four years later...

The "Nixon Doctrine" from that year was what Feingold is asking for now.  Then
it meant to build up the S. Vietnamese army so that they could take over the
defense of South Vietnam. The policy became known as "Vietnamization," which had
much in common with the policies of the Kennedy administration (as Obama's does
with Bush's).