[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Campus Antiwar Network Meeting Minutes 8/25

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 18:56:11 CDT 2009

Below are the official meeting minutes from the Campus Antiwar Network
last evening.
But first my comments:
* About a dozen of us attended.
* We ended up meeting outside in a grassy area behind Foellinger
Auditorium (Greg Hall was overwhelmed with huge student groups
orienting their freshmen).
* We mostly brainstormed about things we would like to see happen
during the semester.
* Immediate things: CAN will start tabling on the Quad at least one
day a week. They did this almost every week last semester and it
worked well.
* Much was said about educating people about AfPak.
* There is significant interest in counter-recruitment, both on campus
and in the high schools. A flyer was proposed that would kind of pull
together some college funding ideas that did not include joining the
military.
* Much was said about the School of the Americas (now called “Western
Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation”)
* The boycott, divestment, and sanctions push (headed mostly by
Students for Justice in Palestine) has once again shifted. Originally
it was going to suggest that the U of I divest from all the companies
that send military supplies to Israel. Then, toward the end of the
spring semester, it had become a campaign to get the U of I to stop
contracts with any company that sent military-type supplies to
anywhere. Now, it sounds like the divestment campaign is targeting one
company at a time -- starting with the biggest.
* Other suggestion that was taken up immediately: discussing articles
publicly. CAN did three such events last semester and the turn out was
great.

So, now back to the official minutes sent out to CAN members. (the
above were just things that I found the most interesting).