[Peace-discuss] Re: petition period has begun for next year's D and R primaries

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 12:47:50 CDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 12:39 PM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at illinois.edu>wrote:

So if "measures that would tend to contain and extinguish homosexuality
> rather
> than encourage it" are proposed, presumably as laws, they should be
> considered
> publicly and debated.  We should do the same regarding, e.g., drug-taking,
> war-mongering, or capitalist acts among consenting adults -- all three of
> which
> I would generally oppose but not want to ban as crimes.

These issues have been considered publicly and debated ad infinitum and ad
nauseam.  It is, in fact, these "lifestyle" issues - homosexuality,
abortion, gun ownership, to name three - that arouse such intense passions
in the polity and siphon off energy from discussion of more critical and
universal issues such as war, the economy, and health care.  They are wedge
issues, divisive issues upon which there will never be anything like
agreement, and which politicians and the corporations that own them exploit
to divide and conquer.