[Peace-discuss] Fw: It's time for a new course in Afghanistan

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Aug 27 14:08:14 CDT 2009

[We know that both parties are substantially to the right of the US populace on
many issues, but here it seems that Feingold, advertised as the most liberal
Democratic senator on the war, is to the right of the Pentagon itself on the
matter of "timetable."  And the timetable of the JCS Chairman is even more
specific that the Senator's.  Some anti-war move... Let's urge the Democratic
liberals to bring US troops home from the Middle East, not look for ways to
cover over the extension of the war.

	Admiral Mullen: US ‘Starting Over’ in Afghanistan
	12 to 18 More Months to 'Turn This Thing Around'
	by Jason Ditz, August 26, 2009
     Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Admiral Michael Mullen says that the Obama
Administration’s massive escalation in Afghanistan is going to take another 12
to 18 months to “turn this thing around,” and he seems poised to ask for
additional forces above what’s already committed to the war, though he is
waiting for Gen. McChrystal’s assessment to hit before making specific
recommendations.
     But nearly eight years into the disastrous war, and with the American
public seeming less and less eager to keep the conflict going, the admiral
sought to distance himself and indeed the war effort from the last eight years
of failure, saying that the military was basically “starting over.”
     “There is a newness here,” Mullen claimed, “there is a starting again, or
starting over.” At the same time, they’re starting in a considerably worse
position than they had eight years ago when they originally invaded.
     Just last week Gen. McChrystal admitted that the Taliban was at its
strongest point since the war began. A rising number of attacks have been
setting new records for soldiers killed in the war, and Afghan voter turnout
plummeted amid threats of violence and reports of corruption. As General David
Petraeus put it today, “an enormous amount of hard work and tough fighting lies
ahead,” one that will “require a sustained, substantial commitment from all
involved.”
    But with growing impatience, and in some cases outright opposition, to the
US war effort among its allies (and among the US voters), such a commitment
seems unlikely. Even if one was to discard the last eight years, the thousands
of people killed, the hundreds of billions of dollars spent, the “new” war
doesn’t look to have a very bright future, and the 12-18 month timetable to
reverse the momentum seems remarkably optimistic.
<http://news.antiwar.com/2009/08/26/