[Peace-discuss] A just assessment of Kennedy

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Aug 29 08:50:21 CDT 2009

When Edward Moore Kennedy ran for senator at the age of 30, while his brother
was president, his campaign slogan was "He can do MORE for Massachusetts!"

His opponent, the son of the Speaker of the House, said to him in debate, quite
accurately, "If your name were Edward Moore, your candidacy would be a joke."

When his father Joseph Kennedy was the (pro-fascist) US ambassador to Britain in
1940, he famously observed "Democracy is finished in England. It may be here."
He was in a position to know. A jumped-up bootlegger from Boston, Joseph Kennedy
had been put in charge of the newly-created Securities and Exchange Commission
by FDR on the argument that he wanted to put the biggest crook in charge of the
other crooks.

The Kennedy family was not so much a cause of the corruption of democracy in
20thC US as a symptom.