[Peace-discuss] Jury Nullification - Martin Johnson workshop at the Midwest Liberty Fest

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Sun Aug 30 05:30:21 CDT 2009

It probably still comes as a shock to most citizens when they find out
that our elected legislators seldom get to read the legislation that
they vote for. Many of our laws are frankly Unconstitutional and take
away fundamental rights guaranteed by our constitution. To imagine that
such laws are not even read by our legislators but are simply
rubber-stamp-approved boggles the mind. Consider further that such laws
are written by lobbyists and special interest groups with huge budgets
and expense accounts... No simple whitewashing reconciles the cognitive
dissonance.

Consider further the police power of the state to enforce these laws now
illegitimately contrived in the halls of legislature, and signed into
law by posturing executives. The people now have to bear the weight of
the law. We will all suffer the consequences at least indirectly, and
many of our fellow citizens will be deprived of their natural rights
because of running afoul of such laws.

The Jury is the last line of defense against poorly constructed,
ill-conceived, unconstitutional, and just plain bad laws.

The primary function of the independent juror is not, as many think, to
dispense punishment to fellow citizens accused of breaking various laws,
but rather to protect fellow citizens from tyrannical abuses of power by
government. The constitution guarantees you the right to trial by jury.
That means that the government must bring its case before a jury of The
People if government wants to deprive any person of life, liberty, or
property. Jurors can say no to government tyranny by refusing to convict.

Ron Paul addressed this subject in a wonderful TV presentation in the
early 90's.
You can see it here: Jury Nullification - Right and Duty of Citizen
Jurors. <http://www.liberty4urbana.com/node/96>

Marty Johnson has studied Jury Nullification and appeared on LUX
LIBERTAS several weeks ago. http://www.liberty4urbana...
<http://www.liberty4urbana.com/drupal-6.8/node/281>. Marty will be a
Workshop Speaker at the Midwest Liberty Fest. We need to learn all we
can about the courts and jury nullification.

Like Mr. Penn, we in the business of activism and R[3VOJ]UTION may find
that we need a fully-informed jury, perhaps desperately.

Hope you will be able to join us for the Midwest Liberty Fest, October
9-11, 2009 in Du Quoin, IL.

http://www.midwestliberty... <http://www.midwestlibertyfest.com>