[peace-discuss] 'Populism' means most of us

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Dec 2 17:37:32 CST 2009

	Goldman Sachs staff ‘arm themselves against public’

	Bloomberg columnist Alice Schroeder claims
	senior bankers are seeking pistol permits
	BY JACK BREMER
	LAST UPDATED DECEMBER 2, 2009

Writer Alice Schroeder, a respected columnist for Bloomberg News and bestselling
biographer of Warren Buffett (with whom she is photographed above), has claimed
that senior members of the Goldman Sachs bank in New York have begun to arm
themselves in fear of a popular uprising against bankers.

In a column posted yesterday, Schroeder quoted a friend saying: "I just wrote my
first reference for a gun permit." The friend went on to explain that they had
sworn to the good character of a Goldman Sachs banker who had applied to the
police for a pistol permit.

The banker had told Schroeder's friend that senior Goldman staffers had "loaded
up on firearms and are now equipped to defend themselves if there is a populist
uprising against the bank".

Schroeder said that when she rang the bank's spokesman Lucas van Praag for a
comment "to ask whether it's true that Goldman partners feel they need handguns
to protect themselves from the angry proletariat" he never returned her call.

However, the NYPD told her that "as a preliminary matter" the police believed
that some of the bankers Schroeder inquired about did indeed have pistol
permits. The police told her it would be "a while" before they could confirm names.

If Schroeder were a less distinguished journalist, her story might be taken less
seriously. But she is a highly respected figure in Wall Street circles was was
chosen by BusinessWeek alongside Ben Bernanke and Hillary Clinton as one of the
"People to Watch in 2008".

She turned to journalism after working as an insurance analyst at Morgan Stanley
and is the author of the New York Times bestseller The Snowball: Warren Buffett
and the Business of Life, published a year ago.

The Snowball was also shortlisted for the 2008 Business Book of the Year Award -
sponsored by the Financial Times and Goldman Sachs.