[Peace-discuss] Mishmash from O.

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Dec 2 20:33:17 CST 2009

"civilian trials are a fundamental American value and now we'll deny them to
many detainees"

"Afghanistan is in our absolute vital interest and we'll start leaving in 18 months"

...like most Obama decisions, last night he incorporated enough of every side
and paid homage to conflicting principles such that it's impossible to identify
what he really believes ("civilian trials are a fundamental American value and
now we'll deny them to many detainees" is quite similar to: "Afghanistan is in
our absolute vital interest and we'll start leaving in 18 months").  He's
convinced his admirers that this is a form of noble "pragmatism" but, far more
often, it appears to be a mishmash of political calculations bereft of principle
and plagued by numerous internal contradictions that make it impossible to
understand, let alone defend.  Everyone gets to read into it whatever they want
to see.  --G. Greenwald