[Peace-discuss] Re: marketplace mythologies was: Insurance Companies Should Compete

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Thu Dec 3 21:14:38 CST 2009

Ricky,

I guess I really was poking fun at Leahy's doublespeak and the ideologic
play on words
it puts him in.  Patrick Leahy has contributed as much to the
bureaucratic morass that
characterizes the highly regulated practice of medicine in Amerika.

You are not digging deep enough into the medical-industrial-legal complex
and the web of rules and regulations that prevent competition.

Single-payer only changes who pays.  It doesnt change the cost.
Single-payer just ensures the foxes of the medical industry that the
hens are plump and well-fed.
I want to stomp on the foxes.

One not need to call upon the dark annals of history to refute your
argument against the
benefits of competition.  A few days ago I became leery that my auto
insurance was getting more and more expensive.
A few clicks on the internet last night...now I am saving $126 per month
without having
to speak with any insurance salesman at all.  Competition in the
marketplace is a good thing.

Surely you are not so semiotically inflexible that you can't engage in
metaphor about the marketplace.
Perhaps you prefer to have Big Sibling make all of our choices for us?
Or just for the rest of us?

*
Regulation serves abusive corporations because it raises the bar for new
entrants.
It's another case of the collusion of the "left" at its worst ("stupid")
and the
"right" at its worst ("evil").  The "do-gooders" want more regulations
because they think that more regs will make
their miserable and pathetic fear-driven lives "safer".  The
greed-driven corporate plutocrats accept more regulations
with glee, because for them it represents a way to slime their
competition out of the market.

The great bulk of the work of the FDA is no longer to provide consumer
protection but to
provide a competition free shelter for the entrenched companies who
produce materia medica.

Even the Obots bumped up against an impediment with their own goofy regs
in delivering the flu vaccine,
and the government had to declare an emergency to bypass its own
competition limiting rules.

The insurance companies paid a lot of money to their lobbyists to get
those exempting regulations passed.
Practically No one in America seems to be serious about providing decent
medical care at a reasonable price.