[Peace-discuss] Re: abortion and ethics, was Re: Immigration Reform

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Dec 9 10:06:18 CST 2009

"Ethics is a condition of the world, like logic," wrote Wittgenstein.  In that
sense, discussions of ethics, like discussions of logic, need not depend on
theological agreement.

Of course, someone may hold views on ethical matters for reasons based in
theology, saying, e.g., I don't commit murder because God forbids it (or,
unethically, I do commit murder because God commands it).  But they would surely
be subject to ethical (and logical) critique.

As a matter of intellectual history, the Judeo-Christian (and Islamic) tradition
has contributed to ethical and logical -- that is to say, political and
scientific -- discussion, primarily by removing the gods from the universe.