[Peace-discuss] economics of abortion and parenthood, was: Immigration Reform Rally!

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 9 10:34:09 CST 2009

Pure gibberish, of course, no matter who said it.  You can make an ethical argument against abortion if you like, but the framers of the laws you cite clearly did not contemplate the interpretation being imagined here, nor is there any other legal reason to do so - when we set age limits, for example, we count age from BIRTH, not CONCEPTION; we do not attempt to bar pregnant women from seeing R-rated films (although some rightwinger may soon try it);  the census does not count pregnant women as multiple people; police reports do not list embryos or fetuses separately when describing a scene; etc.

The rest of the argument is also complete bunk, like most of "Natural Law" theory at least as we studied in Biomedical Ethics.  It sounds convincing only if you already believe it, or are really gullible.  That's because the argument assumes what it purports to prove: in this case, a particular (and flawed) definition of humanity.

It isn't usually stated clearly anyway, as it isn't here.  The definition of "a human being" can't be this simplistic DNA trait.  If it were, a cancerous tumor or any severe mutation would count as "a human being," i.e. genetically different from the host but still genetically homo sapiens.  What about the case of anencephaly, an apparent human baby born without a brain?  Is this a "person" with equal rights?  Clearly not.  But WHY not?  That is the relevant question here, in my opinion.  And I think the answer is not so hard to figure out if we think about it clearly without too many preconceived notions.

An anencephalic "child" has no equal right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of land (wait, they changed that, right? happiness?)  because he/she/it has no CAPACITY for such things.  In the same way, I have no "right" to sprout wings and fly, because I cannot.  Likewise, certain persons born with severe brain damage or underdevelopment CANNOT exercise certain rights - certain levels of independent living, decision-making, etc. - and therefore it is absurd to argue that they have a "right" to do so.  Clearly, this situation can be abused, as can many others, so a high level of caution is important.  In fact, it's hard to generalize this way, but just about any time we see unequal power - social, politic, economic, etc. - abuse usually follows close behind. It is certainly within a parent's rights - in fact, our duty - to curtail small children's freedom too move about by stopping them from running out into traffic, for example, but that does not
 justify beating them bloody to disuade them or keeping them locked in a basement.  And so on.  So, regardless of the stickiness of the sometimes conflicting issues, there are clearly limits to the "rights" that genetically human individuals may reasonably claim.

The question is always what these limits are, or ethically ought to be, and we may disagree about that.  Those of us who believe that abortion is ethically permissable may disagree about when and under what circumstances.  Those who believe (wrongly) that abortion is somehow "murder" may also disagree about what to do about it.  But I've alluded to a few good reasons that legal prohibitions are and would be wrong (responding to an anti-abortion argument that I notice has now shifted like the proverbial sands) - this leaves the ethics in the hands of those who have the capacity to make ethical decisions.  And among these, the ethical, socioeconomic and other considerations of those affected most - i.e. the pregnant women actually facing the decision - ought to take precedence in general, by rights.

I claim, in fact, that the "personhood" arguments aren't even the final word.  If I find myself inextricably connected to an unconscious adult, for example, circulation, etc, in some science-fictional way that disconnecting before a certain period of months necessarily leads to the unfortunate other person's death, but remaining connected means reduced mobility, increased health risks, and a constant drain from me (as a giant parasite would), then I may ELECT to continue, but I am under no ETHICAL OBLIGATION to stay connected.  It is my RIGHT to disconnect, and the decision is really mine.

Anti-abortionists may argue that the situation isn't analogous unless I am connected by virtue of some action I took, perhaps recklessly or perhaps without full recognition of the consequences or preparedness, or perhaps playing the odds that the connection would not result or that my health would not be in danger and only later learning that my health has been compromised, etc.  I accept such amendments and claim the argument still holds.  What crime would I have to be guilty of to rightfully incur such a sentence?  Can we think of even one?  None that would be relevant to the question.

Ricky

"Speak your mind even if your voice shakes." - Maggie Kuhn