[Peace-discuss] Kevin Alexander Gray

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 10 20:57:17 CST 2009

excerpt from

http://www.counterpunch.org/gray12092009.html

The city of Columbia (SC) used stimulus money to purchase more than “3,500 made in China or Korea tasers,” since that is where they come from, for police and to hire more officers, ostensibly to ramp up their drug war and gang suppression activities. Around the time of the (Henry Louis) Gates controversy, a young man in an adjoining neighborhood who alleges that county police were “planting drugs” on folk stopped me on the street to describe how local sheriff’s deputies swooped down en masse on an area of alleged drug activity with guns and cameras. They weren’t there just to make arrests; they also took individual snapshots of people they didn’t arrest. Whoever refused to be photographed was charged with disorderly conduct and arrested. He said he was arrested and was tased three times, yet he faced charges for assaulting an officer as he was twitching on the ground. “They tell us that we got nobody on our side to speak for us. And
 they’re right,” he said.