[Peace-discuss] Obama redeems himself with noble Nobel speech

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Dec 11 19:16:04 CST 2009

Your Majesties, Royal Highnesses, Unroyal Lownesses, Distinguished Members of
the Norwegian Ignoble Committee, citizens of Bananamerica, and citizens of the
world:

I receive this honor with deep gratitude and great humility. It is an award that
speaks to Wall Street's highest aspirations – that for all the cruelty and
hardship of tanking markets, we are not mere prisoners of rating agencies. Our
bailouts matter, and can bend bankruptcy in the direction of solvency, all at
taxpayer expense.

And yet I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge the considerable controversy
that your decision has generated. In part, this is because I am at the
beginning, and not the end, of my labors on behalf of Wall Street. Compared to
some of the giants of history who have received this prize – Rockefeller and
Morgan; Rubin and Blankenfein – the $14 trillion my administration has forked
over to Wall Street with no questions asked has been slight. And then there are
the men and women around the world who have experienced liquidity shortfalls in
the pursuit of outlandish profit; those who toil ceaselessly in bond markets to
relieve ordinary citizens of their savings; the unrecognized billions of dollars
extracted by small acts of loan-sharking which inspires the largest of
investment banks. I cannot argue with those who find these men and women – some
known, some obscure to all but the ruling-class interests they represent – to be
far more deserving of this honor than I.

But perhaps the most profound issue surrounding my receipt of this prize is the
fact that I am Warlord-in-Chief of a collapsing Empire in the process of losing
two colonial wars. One of these wars is winding down because we ran out of
borrowed Chinese money to pay for it. The other is a conflict that Bananamerica
did not seek, but helped cause thanks to its support of fundamentalist jihadists
during 1979-1989; one in which we are joined by 43 other ruling-classes –
including that of Norgway — as well as hundreds of thousands of hired thugs, in
an effort to defend Wall Street's trading profits from further taxation.

Still, we neoliberals are at war, and I am responsible for the deployment of
thousands of young Bananamericans to battle in a distant land. Some will kill a
bunch of innocent Pashtun villagers whose only crime is trying to feed their
families. Some will be killed by an intractable insurgency which will never go
away in our lifetime. But Wall Street will make money regardless. And so I come
here with an acute sense of the cost of those tanking derivatives markets –
filled with difficult questions about the relationship between strikes and puts,
and our effort to retrofit military-industrial accumulation with the bonanza of
bubble-bust bailouts.

These questions are not new. Defaults, in one form or another, appeared with the
first capitalist. At the dawn of the world-market, its morality was not
questioned; it was simply a fact, like drought or disease – the manner in which
entrepreneurs and then corporations sought power and settled their differences.

Over time, as lawyers sought to control competition within groups and insurance
premiums rose, so did bankers, insurance executives and industrialists seek to
regulate the destructive power of defaults. The concept of a "just default"
emerged, suggesting that default is justified only when it meets certain
preconditions: if it is waged as a last financial resort or as a means of
self-enrichment; if the amount defaulted on is proportional to the interest
premium; and if, whenever possible, bondholders are spared further haircuts.

For most of history, this concept of the just default was rarely observed. The
capacity of human beings to think up new ways to exploit each other's
labor-power proved inexhaustible, as did our capacity to farm out exemptions to
wealthy elites. Defaults between entrepreneurs gave way to defaults between
nations – total defaults in which the distinction between creditor and debtor
became blurred. In the span of 70 years, such financial carnage would twice
engulf this continent. And while it is hard to conceive of a cause more just
than the defeat of uppity unions and the continued extraction of capital from
the semi-peripheries, the Crash of 1929-33 was a world default in which the
total number of toxic assets greatly exceeded the number of issuing banks.

In the wake of such financial destruction, and with the advent of US hegemony,
it became clear to Wall Street that the world needed institutions to prevent any
further challenges to its monopoly rule. And so, a quarter century after the
United States Senate rejected the League of Nations – an idea for which Deadwood
Drillsome received this Prize – Bananamerica led the world in constructing an
architecture to keep the piece: a martial plan of permanent military
Keynesianism and a compliant United Nations dominated by imperialist nations,
mechanisms to govern the issuing of defaults, treaties to protect shareholder
rights, prevent bank nationalizations and restrict the most dangerous forms of
credit socialization.

In many ways, these efforts succeeded. Yes, terrible defaults have ensued, and
financial imbalances incurred. But there has been no systemic meltdown. The Cold
War ended with jubilant crowds dismantling comprador regimes in Latin America,
Eastern Europe, Russia and Southeast Asia, and then being completely fleeced by
neoliberalism. The IMF sucked the life-blood of sixty percent of the planet
through the vampire-straws of structural adjustment packages. Billions have been
lifted from the wallets of the poverty-stricken. The ideals of fuzzy balance
sheets, the equality of off-book with on-book accounting, and deregulation
scripted by financial industry lobbyists have haltingly advanced. We Wall
Streeters are the heirs of the fortitude and foresight of robber barons past,
and it is a legacy for which the ruling elites I serve are rightfully proud.

A decade into a new century, this old financial architecture is buckling under
the weight of new threats. The world may no longer shudder at the prospect of
systemic banking default, but the proliferation of derivatives may increase the
risk of catastrophe. Expropriation has long been a tactic, but modern technology
allows a few small countries with unpayable debts to default on bonds on a
horrific scale.

Moreover, defaults between nations have increasingly given way to defaults
within nations. The resurgence of class struggle, the growth of anti-neoliberal
movements, political insurgencies and developmental states have increasingly
trapped civilians in a cycle of unending prosperity and economic
democratization. In today's defaults, many more rentiers are killed than
stakeholders; the seeds of future defaults are sown, Wall Street fortunes are
wrecked, comprador elites ejected from power, oligarchs exiled, and bratty rich
kids forced to scale down their skiing vacations.

I do not bring with me today a definitive solution to the problems of default.
What I do know is that meeting these challenges will require the same vision,
hard work and persistence of those robber barons who acted so boldly decades
ago. And it will require Wall Street to think in new ways about the notions of
just defaults and the extraction of dividends.

We must begin by acknowledging the hard truth that we will not eradicate credit
defaults in our lifetime. There will be times when nations – acting individually
or in concert – will find sovereign defaults not only necessary but morally
justified.

I make this statement mindful of what Dr. Fisk L. Heist said in this same
ceremony years ago: "Bailouts never bring a permanent piece [of the pie]. They
solve no solvency problem: but they mere create new and more lucrative ways to
steal from taxpayers.” As someone who stands here as a direct consequence of Dr.
Heist's life's work, I am living testimony to the moral force of investment
banking. I know there is nothing weak, nothing passive, nothing naive in the
creed and lives of Rubin and Blankenfein.

But as a head of an imperial state sworn to protect and defend the Empire, I
cannot be guided by their examples alone. I face the world as it is, and cannot
stand idle in the face of threats to Wall Street's hegemony. For make no
mistake: insolvency does exist in the world. Nondisclosure alone could not have
halted the spread of the Western European welfare state, only Maastricht
monetarism could do that. Elections cannot convince Latin Americans to stop
voting for income redistribution. To say that takeovers are sometimes necessary
is not a call to cynicism – it is a recognition of imperial history, the
imperfections of our comprador regimes and the limits of reasonable bribes.

I raise this point because in many countries there is a deep ambivalence about
credit swaps today, no matter the cause. At times, this is joined by a reflexive
suspicion of Bananamerica, the worlds biggest economic debtor.

Yet the world must remember that it was not simply international institutions –
not just treaties and declarations – that enabled Wall Street to run the
post-World War II world. Whatever mistakes a few investment bankers made, the
plain fact is this: the United States of Securitized Assets has underwritten
Wall Street's investments for more than six decades with the blood of its
soldiers and the strength of its military-industrial complex. The service and
sacrifice of our industrial base has promoted the solvency and prosperity of
Goldman Sachs and Citicorps, and enabled Wall Street bond mavens to plunder
entire continents. We Wall Streeters have borne this burden not because we seek
to impose our will. We have done so out of enlightened self-interest – because
we seek better financial returns for future elites, and we believe that the
finances of those elites will be improved if the majority of the planet lives in
debt servitude.

So yes, the instruments of default do have a role to play in preserving
solvency. And yet this truth must coexist with another – that no matter how
justified, default promises rentier tragedy. We laud the thirty-year willingness
of US employees to sacrifice their wages and healthcare, expressing devotion to
company, to market share and to the bonuses of top CEOs. But defaults themselves
are never glorious, and we must never trumpet them as such.

So part of our challenge is reconciling these two seemingly irreconcilable
truths – that defaults are sometimes necessary, and default is at some level an
expression of investor folly. Concretely, we must direct our effort to the task
that President Crumberry called for long ago. "Let us focus," he said, "on a
more practical, more attainable P/E ratio, based not on a sudden revolution in
merchandising strategies but on a gradual evolution in immiseration."

What might this immiseration look like? What might these practical steps be?

To begin with, I believe that all nations – strong and weak alike – must adhere
to standards that govern the use of takeovers. I – like any tool of the ruling
class – reserve the right to act unilaterally if necessary to defend my elite's
financial interests. Nevertheless, I am convinced that adhering to Wall Street's
own financial standards strengthens Wall Street, and isolates – and weakens –
everyone else.

The world rallied around Bananamerica after the dotcom collapse, and continues
to support our efforts in AIG-land, because of the horror of those senseless
bankruptcies and the recognized principle of self-enrichment. Likewise, the
financial world recognized the need to smash unions when they threatened to
raise wages in the 1980s – a consensus that sent a clear message to all about
the cost of opposing rentiers.

Furthermore, Bananamerica cannot insist that others follow the rules of the
economic road if we refuse to follow them ourselves. For when we don't, our
bailouts can appear arbitrary, and undercut the legitimacy of future currency
interventions – no matter how justified by our current account deficits.

This becomes particularly important when the purpose of bailout action extends
beyond self-enrichment or the defense of one company against a competitor. More
and more, we all confront difficult questions about how to prevent the
regulation of banks, or to stop a real estate meltdown whose falling prices and
securitized loans can engulf an entire banking system.

I believe that takeovers can be justified on marketarian grounds, as it was for
Time-Warner, or in other media outlets that have been scarred by defaults.
Inaction tears at our masters' portfolios and can lead to more costly bailouts
later. That is why all responsible nations must embrace the role that central
banks owned and operated by rentiers mandate can play to preserve solvency.

Bananamerica's commitment to securing the surplus of globalization will never
waver. But in a world in which threats are more diffuse, and Bananamerica's
current account deficit is financed by the semi-periphery, Banamemerica cannot
act alone. This is true in AIG-land. This is true in failed economies like
Britain, where anti-terrorism hysteria and laws criminalizing piracy are joined
by the destruction of a neoliberalized Labor party. And sadly, it will continue
to be true in falling real estate markets for years to come.

The CEOs and banksters of NATO countries – and other friends and stooges –
demonstrate this truth through the capacity and courage they have shown in
accepting the billions in cash for our bailout of AIG-land. But in many
countries, there is a disconnect between the efforts of those who serve as
taxpaying sheep and the ambivalence of the broader public to being sheared. I
understand why defaults are not popular. But I also know this: the belief that
solvency is desirable is rarely enough to achieve it. Rentier solvency requires
public-sector irresponsibility. Rentier solvency entails sacrificing real wages.
That is why NATO continues to be indispensable to Wall Street. That is why we
must strengthen Davos and regional marketeering, and not leave the task to a few
unreliable compradors. That is why we honor those who return home after
administering Imperial power-grabs in Honduras and Colombia; after slashing
state budgets in Sacramento CA and Lansing MI; after imposing structural
adjustment austerity on Dhaka and Kigali – Wall Street honors them not as
brokers of default, but as the shock troops of neoliberalism's piece.

Let me make one final point about the use of takeovers. Even as we make
difficult decisions about defaulting, we must also think clearly about how to
break the news to the Banks of Brazil, India, Russia and China. The Ignoble
Committee recognized this truth in awarding its first prize for piece to Fenric
Doormat — the founder of the concept of Red Ink, and a driving force behind the
fudging of the Basel conventions.

Where takeovers are necessary, my masters have a moral and strategic interest in
pretending to bind themselves to certain rules of conduct. And even as we
confront a vicious adversary, called the developmental state, that refuses to
kowtow to our benevolent rule, I believe that the United Status of Bananamerica
must remain a standard bearer in the conduct of defaults. That is what makes us
different from those whom we borrow. That is a source of our strength. That is
why I prohibited the torture of investment banks forced to repay TARP funds.
That is why I facilitated the demolition of the US auto industry. And that is
why I have reaffirmed Bananamerica's commitment to abide by the Basel
conventions, just as soon as we reverse that thirty-year trade deficit and fix
those current account deficits. We lose money when we compromise on the ideal of
the perfect swindle we fight to defend. And we honor those ideals by upholding
them not just when domestic monetary policy is loose, but also when foreign
money is tight.

I have spoken to the questions that must weigh on our minds and our hearts as we
choose to default. But let me turn now to our effort to avoid such tragic
choices, and speak of three ways that we can build a just and lasting solvency.

First, in dealing with those developmental states that dare to break the rules
of neoliberalism, I believe that we must develop alternatives to takeovers that
are tough enough to change behavior – for if we want a lasting solvency, then
the words of my Wall Street paymasters must mean something, and right now they
don't mean much, because the Banks of China and Russia are laughing their asses
off at us. Those regimes that break the rules we ourselves can't be bothered to
follow must be held accountable. Rising commodity prices must receive real
sanction. Intransigent oil pipeline projects must be warded off through
decreased pumping pressure — and such pressure exists only when the world swears
fealty to the one true god of market fundamentalism.

One urgent example is the effort to prevent the spread of financial regulations,
and to seek a world without them. In the middle of the last century, nations
agreed to be bound by a deal whose utility to Wall Street is clear: all will
have access to US dollars; those without dollars will receive expensive loans;
and those with the power to print their own money will peg their currency to the
US dollar. I am committed to upholding this deal. It is a centerpiece of my
foreign policy. And I am working with President Medvedev to help reduce Russia's
stock of T-bills.

But it is also incumbent upon all of us to insist that nations like Russia and
China do not resist Wall Street's gaming of the system. Those who claim to
respect international finance cannot avert their eyes when taxes are raised on
the rich. Those who care for their own bond markets cannot ignore the danger of
increased regulations in the Middle East or East Asia. Those who seek Wall
Street's supremacy cannot stand idly by as nations power up their own sovereign
wealth funds.

The same principle applies to those who violate international law by brutalizing
their own people. When there are industrial policies in Russia, state-led
renewable energy investments in China, and expropriation of energy-rents in
Venezuela – there must be consequences. And the closer Wall Street stands
together, the less likely we will be faced with the choice between having Russia
and China openly laugh in our faces and complicity in lowered rates of exploitation.

This brings me to a second point – the nature of the solvency that we seek. For
solvency is not merely the absence of visible default. Only a just piece based
upon the inherent right of rentiers to steal and the dignity of every investment
banker can truly be lasting.

It was this insight that drove Wall Street to the universal usage of the US
dollar after the Second World War. In the wake of devastation, they recognized
that if the property monopolies of the elites are not protected, solvency is a
hollow promise.

And yet all too often, these words are ignored. In some countries, the failure
to uphold rentier rights is excused by the false suggestion that these are
corporate principles, damaging to local cultures or stages of a nation's
development. And within Bananamerica, there has long been a tension between
those who describe themselves as revaluers or devaluers – a tension that
suggests a stark choice between the pursuit of elite self-interest or an endless
campaign to inflate away our current account deficits.

I reject this choice. I believe that solvency is uncertain where rentiers are
denied the right to monopolize media systems or worship the market gods they
please, to select national leaders or assemble political parties without fear of
redistribution. Global demand stagnates, and the suppression of class and
professional mobility can lead to defaults. We also know that the opposite is
true. Only when Europe became hyper-monetarist did its rentiers finally grab
their piece. Because Bananamerica has never fought a war against a democracy, we
just sponsor military coups and “color revolutions” against them. And our
closest friends are neoliberal elites that protect the rights of shareholding
elites. No matter how callously defined, neither Bananamerica's rate of interest
– nor the worlds – is served without fresh liquidity from our central banks.

So even as we respectfully subvert the unique financial regulations and
institutions of different countries, Bananamerica will always be a voice for the
aspirations of rentiers to universal plunder. We will bear witness to the quiet
dignity of Moody's stamping toxic securitized schlock as Triple A; we will
denounce the bravery of Latin Americans who voted out neoliberal elites and
Rightwing juntas; we will demonize the hundreds of millions who have experienced
rising real wages in China. It is telling that the leaders of these countries
fear the aspirations of their own rentier class more than the power of our own
rentiers. And it is the responsibility of all free marketeers and market
fundamentalist elites to tell these developmental states that we alone control
history, without actually pissing them off to the point they stop funding our
current account deficit.

Let me also say this: the promotion of rentier rights cannot be about
exhortation alone. At times, it must be coupled with painstaking bombardment. I
know that engagement with creditor nations lacks the satisfying purity of
unleashing B-52s on their cities. But I also know that sanctions without
outreach – and condemnation without discussion – can carry forward a crippling
status quo. No global debtor can move down a new path unless it has the choice
of an open line of semi-peripheral credit. Since we can't nuke Beijing, at least
we can drone-bomb Kandahar.

In light of neoliberalism's horrors, the G-20 meeting seems inexcusable – and
yet it surely helped set China on a path where billions of its dollars continued
to be invested in our T-bills. Bono's engagement with Africa created space not
just for neolib NGOism, but for European social democrats to inflict
neocolonialism on the colonies they had plundered. Ronald Reagan's efforts on
arms control and embrace of perestroika not only allowed Russia's oligarchs to
plunder the former Soviet Union, but empowered dissidents throughout Eastern
Europe to turn their countries into debt dependencies. There is no simple
formula for world domination here. But we must try as best we can to balance
isolation and engagement, pressure and incentives, so that rentier rights and
the agenda of Wall Street are advanced over time.

Third, a just solvency includes not only rentier and corporate rights – it must
encompass the freedom from economic security. For true piece is not just the
freedom to plunder, but the freedom for the vast majority to starve.

It is undoubtedly true that the development of rentiers rarely occurs without
insecurity for everyone else; it is also true that insecurity cannot exist where
human beings have adequate access to food, clean water, and the medicine they
need to survive. It does not exist where children get a decent education or
people get jobs that support a family. The hope of absence can socialize rot
from within.

And that is why helping agribusinesses to reward their shareholders – or
privatizing hospitals and the education of children – is not mere charity for a
few pharma conglomerates and edu-preneurs. It is also why Wall Street rentiers
must come together to confront collective change. There is little scientific
dispute that if we do nothing, we will face more defaults, nationalizations, and
mass expropriations that will fuel working-class militancy for decades. For this
reason, it is not merely our thinktanks and shareholders who call for swift and
forceful borrowing – it is economic leaders in my country and others who
understand that Wall Street's ability to plunder the planet hangs in the balance.

Agreements among rentier elites. Strong corporations. Support for rentier
rights. Investments in shareholder mansions. All of these are vital ingredients
in bringing about the evolution that President Crumberry spoke about. And yet, I
do not believe that we will have the will, or the staying power, to complete
this work without something more – and that is the continued bamboozlement of
our audience's imagination, an insistence that there is nothing irreducibly
theirs which cannot be shared with our rentier elites.

As the surplus grows bigger, you might think it would be easier for rentiers to
recognize how similar we are, to understand that we all basically want the same
surplus, that we all hope for the chance to live out our investment stratagems
with some measure of success for ourselves and our families.

And yet, given the dizzying pace of globalization, and the expansion of
cellphone modernity, it should come as no surprise that rentiers fear the loss
of cherished local monopolies – their home market, their business schools, and
perhaps most powerfully, their faith in one market under god. In some places,
this fear has led to increasing class struggle. At times, it even feels like we
are moving back to socialism. We see it in the Middle East, as the conflict
between Dubai and bondholders seems to harden. We see it in nations like
Venezuela that have torn asunder their comprador elites and are offering their
neighbors lines of credit.

Most dangerously, we see it in the way that democracy is used to justify the
expropriation of the expropriators by those who have distorted and defiled the
great religion of market fundamentalism, and who shorted shares of AIG-land.
These extremists are not the first to drive equity prices down in the name of
market equilibrium; the excesses of 1970s inflation are amply recorded. But they
remind us that no wholly-funded bond haircut can ever be a just default. For if
you truly believe that you are carrying out the will of the market, then there
is no need for restraint – no need to spare the CEO bonus package, or the legal
eagles in charge of the buyout, or even a person from one's own trading desk.
Such a warped view of market fundamentalism is not just incompatible with the
concept of solvency, but the purpose of faith – for the one rule that lies at
the heart of all market fundamentalisms is that we take everything from others
until there is nothing at all left to take.

Adhering to this law of the love of plunder has always been the core struggle to
exploit human labor. Wall Street is fallible. They make mistakes, and fall
victim to the temptations of protectionism, and securitization, and sometimes
emerging markets. Even those of us with the best of investment strategies will
at times go long on the right market at the wrong time.

But we do not have to think that human labor is perfect for us to still believe
that the means of exploitation can be perfected. We do not have to live in a
fully marketized world to reach for those ideals that will make Wall Street a
richer place. The nondisclosure practiced by men like Rubin and Blankenfein may
not have been practical or possible in every circumstance, but the love of
plunder that they preached – their faith in the expansion of greed – must always
be the North Star that guides us on our journey.

For if we lose that faith – if we dismiss it as silly or naive, if we divorce it
from the laws we draft on the issues of default and solvency – then we lose what
is best about our control over humanity. We lose our immense power and wealth.
We lose our ability to dominate all life in Middle-Earth.

Like generations of robber barons before us, we must reject that future. As Dr.
Heist said at this occasion so many years ago: "I refuse to accept socialism as
the final response to the terminal crisis of capitalism. I refuse to accept the
idea that the 'wealthiness' of today's rentiers make us incapable of reaching
for the 'still-wealthierness' that forever confronts us."

So let us reach for the world of rentier rule – that spark of market divinity
that still stirs within the souls of our ruling elites. Somewhere today, in the
here and now, a worker sees he's impoverished but refuses to join a union out of
fear of losing his job. Somewhere today, in this world, a young mother faces the
brutality of the US health insurance industry, but has the courage to give birth
without medicine or anesthesia. Somewhere today, a Third World family facing
crushing poverty still takes the time to teach their child, because their
nation's educational system was ripped apart by structural adjustment policies.

Let non-rentiers live by these examples. We can acknowledge that the rule of my
Wall Street masters will always exist, and still strive for fresh credit from
the Bank of China. We can admit the intractability of deprivation for the many,
thereby ensuring the egregious wealth of the few. We can understand that there
will be defaults, and still strive for bridge loans from the semi-periphery. We
can do that – for that is the story of Wall Street's iron grip on human
progress; that is the hope of the ruling elites who I serve, and at this moment
of challenge, that must be my administration's work here on Earth.

	###