[Peace-discuss] Toby Keith sings of peace

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Dec 11 20:12:00 CST 2009

[Here's how we do politics in America.  --CGE]

Keith had a public feud with the Dixie Chicks over the song "Courtesy of the
Red, White, & Blue", in 2003 as well as over comments they made about President
George W. Bush on stage during a concert in London. The lead singer of the Dixie
Chicks, Natalie Maines, publicly stated that Keith's song was "ignorant, and it
makes country music sound ignorant."  Keith responded by belittling Maines'
songwriting skills, and by displaying a backdrop at his concerts showing a
doctored photo of Maines with Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein. On May 21, 2003,
Maines wore a T-shirt with the letters "FUTK" on the front at the Academy of
Country Music Awards. While a spokesperson for the Dixie Chicks said that the
acronym stood for "Friends United in Truth and Kindness," many, including host
Vince Gill, took it to be a shot at Keith ("Fuck You Toby Keith").