[Peace-discuss] Gravel's lament: Fighting another dumb war

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Dec 14 15:15:48 CST 2009

Mort--

I think you're right to hesitate over Hedges' notion of a "dumb war."

I recently posted the following to Doug Henwood's economists' list:

"American planners are not idiots.  (We went to school with most of them.) They
(essentially the same people through the last two administrations, except for a
slight neocon detour) would not have poured people and money into their
21st-century Middle East wars out of pique or madness.  Their plans were not
irrational -- just vicious.  Capitalism, imperialism, and geopolitics provide an
adequate account.  And, as [another member of the listserv] pointed out, they're
winning."