[Peace-discuss] Gravel's lament: Fighting another dumb war

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Dec 14 16:08:03 CST 2009

It also ignores the deep divisions in the uniformed military, which has recently
undergone an internal putsch.  The Petraeus clique launched a faction-fight
against their superiors with the "leaking" of Petraeus' (partially plagiarized)
COIN manual in 2007 and essentially displaced the old guard -- but not entirely.

The latter still hold senior positions in the Pentagon, and Gates' job is to
maintain this particular "team of rivals" in aid of constant US policy. (The
Lincoln line is probably even less suitable than it was for Lincoln.)

Petraeus has modestly refused to disavow presidential ambitions -- he
undoubtedly sees himself as Eisenhower, or a successful MacArthur -- and will
take whatever line in the ME will aid those ambitions, not excluding cutting
losses (and undercutting Obama).

But that's not to deny some desire in the cadre to practice their art.  Up to
the mid-1960s or so, US officers would say of Vietnam, "It's a dirty little war,
but it's the only war we've got."  It took the revolt of their conscript
soldiers to make them shut up. --CGE