[Peace-discuss] why a substantive change in health care is unlikely

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Dec 15 11:39:36 CST 2009

[1] By "administration" I meant the button-men, rather than the godfather.

[2] It's a fairly central point of modern society that the people who do the
work (even health-care providers) are often different from the people who
profit.  But it is true that the nature of the work can be corrupted by the
'needs' of profit.

[3] I agree with your analysis, but the solution I would propose would not be to
remove the government from the picture.  Rather get the government, ostensibly
run by and working for the majority, to be/do so in fact. And that takes a
political movement (probably not the Republicans or Democrats).

[4] Democracy "means that the central institutions of society have to be under
popular control. Now, under capitalism, we can't have democracy by definition.
Capitalism is a system in which the central institutions of society are in
principle under autocratic control. Thus, a corporation or an industry is, if we
were to think of it in political terms, fascist; that is, it has tight control
at the top and strict obedience has to be established at every level -- there's
little bargaining, a little give and take, but the line of authority is
perfectly straightforward. Just as I'm opposed to political fascism, I'm opposed
to economic fascism. I think that until the major institutions of society are
under the popular control of participants and communities, it's pointless to
talk about democracy." (Noam Chomsky)