[Peace-discuss] Paul Street on Obama's 1st 11 months

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Dec 16 08:50:09 CST 2009

Street's commentary is as usual accurate and insightful, but I think that in
this passage he (and John Pilger) make a category mistake. George Clooney is one
of the very best American actors of his generation -- and witty as well.  (They
don't always go together.)  And here Clooney's talking about *acting*.

Obama's appeal has always rested on essentially vacuous charm, not on the
positions he held. He was able to project himself as an attractive blank slate,
on which followers could inscribe their preferred policies. And his ability was
such that he could do that, even if it could be shown that he had in fact spoken
against those polices.

Clooney's remark is a tribute, by a talented actor, to Obama's acting ability.
(And, although I've spent many happy hours pursuing the quality, as Hamlet says,
I think Katherine Hepburn may have been right to say, "Acting is the most minor
of gifts and not a very high-class way to earn a living. After all, Shirley
Temple could do it at the age of four.")

I should declare an interest: my youngest daughter is one of three associate
producers of Clooney's new film, "Up in the Air," which opens this month. Not
only is it being mentioned for Oscars, it's the most anti-capitalist American
film since "The Apartment" (not from any theoretical commitment). My
recommendation of it is over-determined. --CGE