[Peace-discuss] Fw: This Congressman wants to thank you

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 17 14:06:16 CST 2009

--- On Wed, 12/16/09, Drew Hudson, TrueMajority.org <alerts at truemajority.org> wrote:

From: Drew Hudson, TrueMajority.org <alerts at truemajority.org>
Subject: This Congressman wants to thank you
To: jencart13 at yahoo.com
Date: Wednesday, December 16, 2009, 12:39 PM

Dear Jenifer,

We just delivered your signature to Congress and some friends want to say 'THANKS.'

Check out the video and then donate to keep our campaign moving!

When President Obama announced his decision to escalate the war in Afghanistan, some people thought the fight for peace was over.

They were wrong.

Yesterday we showed that this fight is just beginning when Rep. Alan Grayson of Florida read your petition aloud to the entire U.S. House as we delivered almost 100,000 signatures -- including yours -- opposing the escalation..1

Because this day couldn't have happened without you, Rep. Grayson and the veterans we worked with want to say 'thanks.' Check out their video message and then chip in if you can to keep this campaign rolling.

https://secure.truemajority.org/o/2/t/56/shop/custom.jsp?donate_page_KEY=137

Yesterday was a powerful moment in the fight against this war. In addition to Rep. Grayson's support, veterans who oppose the escalation spoke to the media, and Congress took notice of the growing opposition to the Afghanistan escalation.

But our signatures alone aren't going to be enough. The Pentagon has announced that they're going to spend the money they were already given for the war in Afghanistan twice as fast to ramp up the deployment.2 That also means they'll have to come back to Congress twice as soon for more funding.

Rep. Grayson and other leading progressives in Congress are already questioning the war.3 And thanks to your support, they know that many Americans oppose the escalation. But the real fight to end this war will begin next year, when the first votes on funding for the war begin.

Today, Rep. Grayson and others want to say thanks. But we're going to need resources to keep fighting tomorrow, and the day after, the week after -- as long as it takes to stop this war and bring everyone home.

Check out the video and then donate today to make sure that we have the resources to win.

-Drew

Drew Hudson
TrueMajority / USAction
1 - commondreams.org/newswire/2009/12/15-9
2 - reuters.com/article/idUSN156739120091215
3 - nytimes.com/2009/12/13/us/politics/13obey.html

If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for TrueMajority.

To stop ALL email from TrueMajority, click here to remove yourself from our list.

TrueMajority.org is a grassroots group of citizens who believe in America's true values of openness, fairness and compassion. We believe participating in an effective government is the best way to be mutually responsible for our community. TrueMajority is a project of USAction, a 501(c)(4) organization under the IRS tax code.