[Peace-discuss] Storage of AWARE Stuff

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 21 12:35:47 CST 2009

Hi Everyone,
After several moves following the closure of the office that AWARE
shared with several other tenants, the IMC has managed to consolidate
AWARE's stuff temporarily in two locations in the basement. A small
amount of it is in the Janitor room underneath  the air duct at the
north end of the room. The larger part of it is stored around the air
handler in the air conditioner room. And there is a LOT of it.

Currently and probably for the foreseeable future, the IMC is not going
to have excess space to rent to AWARE to store this considerable amount
of material. Clearly, the bulk of it is not and probably is unlikely to
be needed at a central location for quick and easy availability for use
in demonstrations and other activities, which seemed to be the reason to
keep it readily at hand at the IMC in the first place.

Some of it does seem to be of value for future use in making additional
signage, etc. Much of it may be of purely historical interest, given
that circumstances have changed and the issues addressed have moved on.
Other materials may be of use if the cycles of politics return us to the
same disquieting problems as they so often do.

I note this in the hope that in the new year AWARE will address what its
actual needs for a ready reserve of on-hand and easily available signage
and related materials at the IMC might be. If reduced to a suitably
modest cache, we may simply be able to afford continued storage in an
area that would not otherwise be used.

However, the current situation is far from that happy situation and
really must be addressed in some form or fashion. Is it possible that an
AWARE member has an attic or garage that could accommodate long term
storage for the bulk of these materials that would seem to have a low
priority for ready availability by their very nature?  We welcome your
proposal on a way to move forward on this in the new year.
Mike Lehman
UC IMC Finance