[Peace-discuss] Fw: [cchcc-l] Please help CCHCC!

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 23 13:06:14 CST 2009

(Please forward widely. Thanks.)

Sometimes we need to think AND act locally, and this is such a time. Please help CCHCC if you possibly can.
 --Jenifer

--- On Wed, 12/23/09, CCHCC <cchcc at healthcareconsumers.org> wrote:

*******************

Dear Friends,

Champaign County Health Care Consumers (CCHCC) needs your help. Please
consider making an end-of-the-year or a New Year's financial
contribution to CCHCC.

CCHCC is experiencing a severe financial crisis, and we are working hard
to raise funds and avoid staff layoffs.

We are already a very lean organization, doing so much with very little,
but unfortunately, we are really feeling the effects of the recession.
Our financial crisis is the result of several factors:

* the loss of over $75,000 in expected grant funding (our regular
long-time funders lost money in the stockmarket and have cut back on
their grantmaking, many deciding to concentrate their funding in the
Southern states); this is over 30% of our operating budget.

* 30% increase in our health insurance premiums (please see our press
conference on rate increases and gender rating -
http://www.healthcareconsumers.org/index.php?action=Display%20Page&id=734

* decline in pledged contributions as individual supporters are also
financially struggling in this recession; and

* other cost increases, including utility rates.

*******************************
To make a contribution online, please go to:
http://www.healthcareconsumers.org/index.php?action=Donation

To make a contribution by check, please mail it to:
CCHCC
44 E. Main Street, Suite 208
Champaign, IL 61820
*******************************

Even as we struggle to continue financially, without layoffs, we are
doing a tremendous amount of work and serving record numbers of
individuals and families who are turning to us with more severe cases
than ever - and we expect the number of clients coming to us to grow as
more and more people are losing their health coverage and income in this
recession. However, we also expect next year to be a year of incredible
change and opportunity in our various campaigns (campaigns which seek to
make concrete improvements in the lives of Champaign County residents!),
and we want to retain our capacity to do the most good possible. Laying
off staff would cut into our community organizing ability and our
ability to serve our clients.

Our current work includes the following:
* Health care access -- working to shape the community benefits and
charity care benefits of the Carle merger

* Health care reform -- working to keep up with legislative developments
and lead advocacy efforts

* Medicare Part D campaign -- working to close the disasterous Part D
doughnut hole

* 5th & Hill Neighborhoor Rights Campaign - fighting to clean up all of
the contamination in the 5th & Hill neighborhood resulting from Ameren's
toxic site

* Our Service Programs: Consumer Health Hotline, Dental Referral
Program, Medicare 100/Plus - which overwhelmingly serve low-income
Champaign County residents in desperate need of affordable health care
and dental care. We now serve over 500 people per month through these
programs, and we frequently help individuals and families apply and
qualify for benefits such as Medicaid, food stamps, TANF cash
assistance, Social Security disability, Circuit Breaker, and more.

Please consider making an end-of-the-year contribution, or a New Year's
contribution to CCHCC. We will keep you posted on our work and also on
how our orgaization is doing.

*******************************
To make a contribution online, please go to:
http://www.healthcareconsumers.org/index.php?action=Donation

To make a contribution by check, please mail it to:
CCHCC
44 E. Main Street, Suite 208
Champaign, IL 61820
*******************************

It is with deepest gratitude that I thank you for your involvement,
activism, and support of CCHCC.

Best wishes for healthy, happy, and safe holidays.

Sincerely,

Claudia Lennhoff, Executive Director

Champaign County Health Care Consumers
44 E. Main Street  Suite 208