[Peace-discuss] In the streets

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 22:57:59 CST 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 11:24 AM, LAURIE SOLOMON <LAURIE at advancenet.net>wrote:

>  Which is why - despite it being a French saying - the saying "the more
> things change the more they stay the same" has become an American
> description.  Until the masses of ordinary people get off their asses and
> take to the streets with a willingness to shut things down and prevent
> business as usual even if it means their inconvenience and discomfort, there
> will be no significant change in the US - only minor symbolic reforms at the
> periphery.

This is true.  But there are certain fundamental differences between French
society and American society.  In general, the law and law enforcement are
tilted much more in favor of the French citizen than of his/her American
equivalent.  French citizens frequently sue their government, and have a
decent chance of winning such suits.  French gendarmes are much less brutal
in their methods of crowd control and law enforcement in general.

All of which is to say that American citizens would be risking much MORE by
taking to the streets, with less chance of success.  And since the average
American still thinks of himself as "middle class" and buys into the Horatio
Alger myth, he doesn't want to or see the necessity of taking the risk.

Instead of the corporations and the establishment elite getting 3 trillion