[Peace-discuss] Jury Nullification

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Mon Feb 2 18:23:01 CST 2009

The local community sets its standards for justice/injustice based upon
its values.
That is actually a pretty good thing.  TV and Mass media has attempted to
standardize culture and values across the country.   I can't imagine how
that can be good.

Connecticut might with validity forbid activities that Kentucky with
equal validity allows.  Saline county and Lake county, both
in Illinois are populated by very different people with different
lifestyles and goals.  They can decide what is just and unjust in
their locales.  Jury nullification tends to erode central control of
values and permit local interpretations
of what is a desirable lifestyle.  It favours grassroots governance.

It seems to me that all of the items you list below are instances of
jury nullification.

There is nothing that says that the 12 people on a jury have to agree on
the verdict.
They have to agree in order to convict, but they don't have to agree.