[Peace-discuss] Jury Nullification

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 2 22:31:39 CST 2009

      “The jury has the right to judge both the law as well as the fact in
controversy.” —John Jay, first Chief Justice of the United States (& no radical)

Jury nullification is a jury's refusal to apply the law as written (i.e., to
acquit) to a particular case because to do would result in in justice.

Juries have the power to refuse to apply the law when their consciences require
that they do so.

The first notable instance of jury nullification in the colonial United States
was the famous Zenger case of 1734. A jury refused to convict John Peter Zenger
of seditious libel for publishing a newspaper critical of Governor William Cosby
of New York.

Jury nullification appeared in the pre-Civil War era when juries sometimes
refused to convict for violations of the Fugitive Slave Act.

During Prohibition, juries often nullified alcohol control laws, possibly as
often as 60% of the time. Such resistance may have contributed to the adoption
of the Twenty-first Amendment -- repealing the Eighteenth Amendment which
established Prohibition.

Today many discussions of jury nullification center around drug laws that some
consider unjust either in principle or because they are seen to discriminate
against certain groups. A jury nullification advocacy group estimates that 3–4%
of all jury trials involve nullification, and a recent rise in hung juries is
seen by some as being indirect evidence that juries have begun to consider the
validity or fairness of the laws themselves.

The present situation in the US, like so much of US politics, relies on keeping
the public ignorant.  A 1969 Fourth Circuit decision, U.S. v. Moylan, affirmed
the right of jury nullification, but also upheld the power of the court to
refuse to permit an instruction to the jury to this effect. In 1972, in United
States v. Dougherty, 473 F.2d 1113, the United States Court of Appeals for the
District of Columbia Circuit issued a ruling similar to Moylan that affirmed the
de facto power of a jury to nullify the law but upheld the denial of the
defense's chance to instruct the jury about the power to nullify. In 1988, the
Sixth Circuit upheld a jury instruction that "There is no such thing as valid
jury nullification."  In 1997, the Second Circuit ruled that jurors can be
removed if there is evidence that they intend to nullify the law, under Federal
Rules of Criminal Procedure 23(b). The Supreme Court has not recently confronted
the issue of jury nullification.

No one of course would argue that juries always arrive at a just result. I think
the answers to your questions as to whether your three instances count as jury
nullification are as follows:

      1) yes, although the result was clearly unjust;

      2) probably, although the result was clearly unjust, unless there was some
basis in the statute for that argument; and

      3) no, Simpson was acquitted because of prosecutorial malfeasance: the
prosecution did not present enough untainted evidence to the jury that he'd
committed the murders -- although he probably did.  The LAPD tried to railroad a
guilty man, and the jury rightly prevented them from doing it.

--CGE