[Peace-discuss] Jury Nullification

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Mon Feb 2 23:42:22 CST 2009

I am sorry but I do not think that this is an adequate response.

From: peace-discuss-bounces at lists.chambana.net
[mailto:peace-discuss-bounces at lists.chambana.net] On Behalf Of E. Wayne
Johnson
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2009 10:31 PM
To: LAURIE SOLOMON
Cc: 'Ron Szoke'; peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net; 'C. G. Estabrook'
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] Jury Nullification

Again, there are higher courts with different biases to which cases can be
taken.

LAURIE SOLOMON wrote:

The local community sets its standards for justice/injustice based upon

its values.

Yes; but within certain parameters, this is true.  It is not always for the
good either.   Nevertheless, it is always problematic to define where the
boundaries of a local community begin and end.  Do we stop at the state? The
county? The municipality? The neighborhood or development within a
municipality? The city block or rural route?  It is also problematic as to
who in the community sets the standards.  Is it a majority, a plurality, or
a minority; is it a majority, plurality, or minority of the registered
voters, of those who actually vote on those standards in a referendum or is
this a virtual or presumed vote on unspecified and unstated standards?

Jury nullification tends to erode central control of
values and permit local interpretations
of what is a desirable lifestyle.  It favours grassroots governance.

It can also favor or promote vigilantism, mob rule, disregard for minority
opinions and rights, conformity to popular demands and values, succumbing to
peer pressure not to go against the views of one's neighbors even if you
know they are wrong, among others, such as cherry picking of juries and the
manipulation of jury selection.

There is nothing that says that the 12 people on a jury have to agree on
the verdict.

True enough

They have to agree in order to convict, but they don't have to agree

I understand and agree with the first part; but I do not understand what you
are trying to say in the last part. Are you saying that, while it takes 12
members of the jury to agree to a "guilty" or to a "not guilty" finding for
the decision to be one of those, jury members may not always agree on a
decision which can result in a hung jury.  While this is also true, it means
that one person can hang a jury.  However, while the effect may be the same
as jury nullification, the question is does that comprise jury nullification
or not.   I would contend that attributing the label of jury nullification
to such an instance or to those instance where the jury finds the defendant
guilty or not guilty contrary to the presented evidence and/or the pertinent
law turns on the motivation of the juror or jurors in question for that
trial.