[Peace-discuss] Would It Kill Us to Apologize to Iran for the Coup?

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Fri Feb 6 11:11:36 CST 2009

It seems to me that the most just foreign policy that we could enact is
to Just Come Home.  As MLK said, Come Home, America.

We have to recognize the principle of sovereignty.  What I do in my
home, what Kentucky or Oregon
does as a constitutionally sovereign state, or what Lesotho does within
its borders is generally speaking none of my neighbors business,
none of the business of the US or even the UN for that matter.
Sovereign individuals, sovereign states,
sovereign countries.  Yes there are collectively held properties and
responsibilities, and thus the rule of law,
but I feel that most of the time our expanding governments are taking
meddling, plunder, intervention,
and imperialism in attitude and action to new levels.

There is no use and no excuse for the US to be extending its
intrusiveness around the world and particularly
not at a time when its own house is in such disarray.

*
If the Spirit of God is moving you to make reparations, far be it from
me to stop you,
but I will point out that the statute of limitations on the sins of the
fathers is 2 to 3 generations.  There is no
point in dragging us in any deeper than that.  At some point there has
to be a cutoff.  I am leery of any outfit
that wants to hang guilt on us.  Guilt is a pointless sort of bondage
that leads no where.  It's not exactly the same thing as responsibility
for one's actions.
There is nothing that I can do about the failure to release the black
slaves or the white ones in the post 1776 era.

I can do something about releasing the slaves being held under bondage
in this era and is seems
to be more useful and meaningful.

*
My point about empty apologies did not get properly construed.

It is meaningless to make apologies if the US does not change its actions.
We won't get done soon apologizing to all who have been wronged.

Actually I want the government to apologize to the Americans first for
taking our rights
and plundering us, and for doing a myriad of things that it ought not be
doing
while failing miserably in securing to us the life, liberty, property,
safety, pursuit of happiness, ..., that it was established to protect.

If the government tends to its real limited business right here at home,
it will hardly have time to meddle with Iran,
and I will guarantee you that Iran really doesn't give a ripe red rat's
rump about some 39-cent apology for 1953.
They just want to be left alone.  It's the continuing history of
unrepentant meddling and harassment that makes them and me angry.
If your contrition leads you to repentance, all the better, but if your
actions belie your words, why waste the time?

And if the Lord is moving on your heart to go overseas and help someone,
you'd sure enough better obey,
but don't drag us as a country along on what should be your personal
mission.  You might
fruitfully ask for our help and pique our compassion, but don't come
with force to bind us all collectively to your personal ambitions.