FW: [Peace-discuss] Would It Kill Us to Apologize to Iran for the Coup?

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Fri Feb 6 13:48:47 CST 2009

But John Robert's position turns on the assumption that (a) this would be
the case in a non-racist society and (b) that we have or will have a
non-racist society.  Since neither presumption holds, then none of the
conclusions are the case for this society now or in the foreseeable future
independent of what given groups or sub-set of members of those groups think
or feel.  This is the case if racism was the sole, exclusive, or even
dominant cause of the disparities; however since it is not the sole, the
exclusive, or the dominant cause; Robert's analysis is not only
oversimplified but not very deep either.  Pecking orders probably are a more
fundamental characteristic of all animal species including the human
species; and this factor may even account for racism or the inclination
towards it.  Of course, culture and religion may have served to perpetuate
the justifications for racist and other discriminatory practices, to
legitimize individual self-centeredness and greed, or to rationalize
disparities and ideological theories such as Social Darwinism, Capitalism,
racism and ethnocentricism, among others that serve to foster and nourish
the disparities on an institutional level and validate practices based on
such disparities.

Unfortunately, especially in the US, our cultural traditions are such that
most of the population value immediate gratification, materialism,
pragmatism, and short term memory.  All of this results in our forgetting
anything that is not the current focal point of our attention, not being
concerned or recognizing anything that we were not immediately involved in
or effected by, and not taking responsibility for anything done in the
collective name or resulting indirectly from past and present actions that
we have taken or decisions that we have made.  History for us is tangible,
lineal, and direct with well delineated causal lines in which one does not
need to take responsibility for anything that happened prior to our lifetime
or our immediate involvement or for which one cannot materially prove actual
intentionality as well as knowledge and forethought of the consequences and
for which any threat or crisis is an excuse for taking what turn out to be
irresponsible actions in retrospect and which should be at least apologized
for.