[Peace-discuss] administration given pause over Afghanistan

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Feb 8 22:53:26 CST 2009

	Published on Sunday, February 8, 2009 by Agence France Presse
	US Warns of Battle Worse Than Iraq in Afghanistan

MUNICH, Germany - The United States warned its allies Sunday that fighting the
insurgency in Afghanistan could prove tougher than in Iraq and appealed, along
with Britain, for more troops and equipment.

US ambassador Richard Holbrooke insisted that a new approach was required to
turn the strife-torn country around, involving all of Afghanistan's neighbours
and in particular Pakistan.

"It is like no other problem we have confronted, and in my view it's going to be
much tougher than Iraq," he said at an international security conference in
Germany. "It is going to be a long, difficult struggle."

Holbrooke, who is to embark on a regional tour soon, said that the
administration of President Barack Obama was reviewing the best way to tackle
the Taliban-led insurgency.

"What is required in my view is new ideas, better coordination within the US
government, better coordination with our NATO allies and other concerned
countries, and the time to get it right," he said.

Countries bordering Afghanistan must also be drawn in as part of a solution, he
said, including Iran but particularly Pakistan, where the Taliban and its
backers in Al-Qaeda and criminal gangs have rear bases.

"All the neighbours ... play a direct role and we're going to look for more of a
regional approach," he said, noting that "Pakistan's situation is dire."

"It needs international assistance, international sympathy and international
support," said Holbrooke, the new envoy for Afghanistan and Pakistan, where he
will start his tour that will also take in India.

The envoy also railed against would-be donors who have failed to live up to
their pledges.

"People got up and pledged things, and nothing happened, and that is the story
of Afghanistan," he said. "I have never seen anything remotely resembling the
mess we have inherited."

Obama has identified Afghanistan as the main front in the "war on terror" and
has pledged to send another 30,000 troops.

There are currently some 70,000 soldiers in Afghanistan including 50,000 under
the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF).

Yet the top US commander for southwest Asia, General David Petraeus, said more
troops, but also aircraft, medical evacuation facilities, engineers, logistics
and trainers were needed.

"I would be remiss if I did not ask individual countries to examine very closely
the forces and other contributions they can provide as ISAF intensifies its
efforts in prepartion for the elections in August," he said.

British Defence Secretary John Hutton insisted that combat forces were most
desperately needed to capture and hold ground in the hands of the insurgents.

"Combat forces, that is a most precious contribution right now to that
campaign," he said. "We kid ourselves if we imagine that other contributions are
as important."

He warned that NATO's biggest and most ambitious mission was under threat.

"We face a moment of choice," he said. "Were are fighting, I think, an
existential campaign in Afghanistan," he said.

Meanwhile, Afghan President Hamid Karzai called for a process of reconciliation
with the Taliban, and urged foreign forces to do more to halt civilian casualties.

"This is the right time for me to call for a process of reconciliation," he said.

"We will invite all those Taliban who are not part of Al-Qaeda, who are not part
of terrorist networks, who want to return to their country, who want to live by
the constitution of Afghanistan and who want to have peace in their country and
live a normal life, to participate, to come back to their country."

Karzai is set to stand again in presidential elections on August 20, but his
popularity has waned amid allegations of government corruption and growing opium
production, as well as the insurgency.

NATO nations have had mixed reactions to Karzai's past proposals to talk to the
insurgents.

"International violent jihadism, I do not believe is and will prove to be
susceptible to any rational political accommodation," Hutton said.

Karzai raised eyebrows in November when he said he would protect the fugitive
leader of the insurgent Taliban, Mullah Mohammad Omar, in return for peace
whether his international partners liked it or not.

© 2009 Agence France Presse