[Peace-discuss] Re: [Discuss] more than a nuisance

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Wed Feb 11 00:03:02 CST 2009

Dear Ricky,

You are welcome and encouraged to always always speak your mind on
these and other lists.  I sure hope we always support an environment
of discussion.

I am having a hard time connecting your story to the proposed nuisance
ordinance.

A few years back the city instituted a rental registration program
which funds inspectors to make sure buildings are up to code (doors
work, windows lock, trash is removed, etc) and provides penalties to
landlords who have unsafe properties.  That solves problem #1 you
mention - unsafe properties.

As for problem #2 you mention - criminal behavior in your apartment
complex or neighborhood ...

I don't think you can compare Urbana, where the cops come when you
call them, to the urban cities where you worked with Acorn, where
neighbors would call the police and they wouldn't come.  Much of the
story you tell about crime I assume derives from this problem.

We have a criminal justice system which arrests and often convicts
people who have committed crimes against and within their
neighborhoods.  That system has a strong due process element to
protect the innocent.

So with the cops showing up, and a criminal justice system in place,
#2 problem is addressed.

My question throughout this discussion has been:

What problem is this nuisance ordinance solving?

For those who think that the current criminal justice system is too
lax and makes is easy for criminals to continue to operate in their
neighborhoods, then you would want to support the nuisance ordinance,
which significantly lowers the bar for considering someone guilty of
an offense.  The punishment could be as severe as that they, their
families, their children, and perhaps all their neighbors, will be
forced out of their housing.  If you want to kill a fly with a bomb,
then this is the correct methodology.

If this was only about penalizing bad landlords, then there would be
no provision for forced evictions or the shutting down of properties.

I will end with this chilling story:

A few years back Gabe O. of Gabe's Place wanted to get a tenant out
that he couldn't seem to evict through the current legal channels.  So
he invited the city to condemn the entire property, which they did
based on code violations caused by Gabe not keeping his place up.  ALL
the residents had to relocate and the property shut down.  Gabe,
happy, then fixed the property, re-tenanted the building, and
continued on with his business.  The landlord and the city conspired
to upset the lives of many innocent families.  The had to find new
housing in the middle of the year (near impossible in this town).
They may have had to switch the schools their children were in.  They
may have lost easy bus access.

So when the city says this won't happen, the fact is it already HAS.

- Danielle