[Peace-discuss] more than a nuisance

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Wed Feb 11 13:57:48 CST 2009

There is long list of ills associated with this proposed ordinance.

Violation of property rights is only one of many problems.

The notion of property rights is a libertarian concept, but only because
it is a fundamental truth, that one should have
the rights to that which one has earned.  It is not unique to some
concept of "libertarianism".
I can't imagine how or why you would disagree, but you are welcome to
explain why you eschew property rights.

Please address this statement:

/The effect of this criminal nuisance property ordinance is to create a
de facto repeal of the "law forbidding landlords from denying housing to
persons because of a criminal record".  No landlord wants the
endangerment of the stiff penalties of the Criminal Nuisance Property
Ordinance.  Ya just can't have it both ways./

You surely know that I am not a landlord.  I have been a renter in
Urbana and am presently a homeowner.  Property rights of individuals is
among the foundational principles of our country.  I don't perceive
either renting nor home ownership as being fundamentally evil.  There
are advantages to renting and advantages to home ownership.

What I am saying is simply to inform you of the natural behaviour of any
landlord when confronted with conflicting ordinances.  You have to
understand how the beast reacts to any action that you make.  You seem
to think that government can provide successively "smaller pairs of
shoes" and thus guarantee certain behaviour that is contrary to the
nature of the beast.  It doesn't work like that.  The criminal nuisance
property ordinance flies in the face of the equal rights to housing
provisions with a potentially profound nullifying effect

Why is it that you can't see it?
*

I am full agreement with David Johnson's statement.  The spirit of the
rule of law is the encouragement acceptable patterns of behaviour.
Those who have stepped out of bounds we should receive unto us again
with due respect, mercy and compassion.

I do believe that one cannot legislate morality, but at the same time I
think that the prosperity of the society is absolutely dependent upon
its morality.  That morality is most active and useful when it is a
morality that is voluntary and natural to it because it has made contact
with 'absolute reality'.

On the other hand there is some group that denies the existence of any
fundamental reality and therefore denies the existence of any morality,
yet at the same time this group desires to impose upon the society
certain rules that dictate and demand the same morality that the group
simultaneously eschews.