[Peace-discuss] Helen Thomas Asks A Question That Exposes Obama's Obseqiousness

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Wed Feb 11 14:25:39 CST 2009

RE. You remark:

I sense that the religious population in Israel is at the very least
no more extremist in a political sense than the secular population.
That includes the so-called "ultra-orthodox."

Are there not polls probing this?

Carl's remark re. the remark of Bob Palm that it "borders on anti-
semitism" itself borders on a lax view of "anti-semitism". Palm was
criticizing "Israel", its policies, and U.S. approval of them, not
Jews per se. This is a familiar problem, that apologists for Israel in
particular perpetuate.

Finally, calling Israel a "religious state" may be technically wrong,
but in some sense it is true, in that calling oneself Jewish means
attachment, if vague, to the religion and those who practiced it in
history, even if not observing it, indeed even if atheistic or
agnostic.  Israel indeed calls itself a state of the Jewish people.
Perhaps Palm in his disgust and anger at Israeli behavior  went
overboard. I think it can be excused on that basis.

The word "racist" is also problematical, in that it has no firm
genetic basis for those described, but I accept the notion that it
represents a separation from those who are in the club from those who
aren't, i.e., the "other".

--mkb