[Peace-discuss] How IRV is working in Vermont

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 12 17:26:10 CST 2009

[Terry Bouricius is a former city councilor and state legislator from Vermont.]

Terry Bouricius, Fair Vote - Here in Burlington, the second mayoral election
using instant runoff voting is less than three weeks away. There is a spirited
campaign with five candidates, four of whom are seen as having a serious chance
of winning.

The incumbent mayor from the Progressive Party, Bob Kiss, is running for
re-election. His opponents are the current president of the city council,
Republican Kurt Wright, Democratic councilor Andy Montroll (a past city council
president), Dan Smith, an independent whose father was a Republican Member of
Congress and who is running as a "post-partisan" "entrepreneurial" candidate,
and a political novice, Green Party candidate James Simpson.

Under the old city charter, Burlington would likely be looking at a runoff
election a few weeks later (with the desperate flurry of campaign fund-raising,
mud-slinging, and added tax-payer expense that generally entails). However, with
the ranked-choice ballot, Burlington will finish its mayoral election on March 3.

With plurality elections, candidates on the same side of the political spectrum,
who appeal to the same slice of the electorate, often seek to demonize each
other. Again, this dynamic is absent under IRV.

Because candidates know they may need the second choices from voters who support
other candidates as their top pick, the campaigns are remaining civil, and
attempting to reach out to a broader constituency, than would be typical in a
plurality election. A door-knocker for one of the campaigns recently knocked on
our door, and had a conversation with my wife. When told that we were supporting
one of the other candidates, this campaign worker said, "I can see that your
mind is made up, but I hope you'll look over this leaflet and consider giving my
guy your second choice."

	###