[Peace-discuss] Nuclear power?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 12 23:46:34 CST 2009

All technical questions are interesting (I worked for Buckminster Fuller once,
long ago) but nuclear power is not just a technical question.

I am distrustful of the discussion of this issue in the public press because
it's hardly disinterested. The US media are owned by corporations
(CBS/Westinghouse, NBC/GE, etc.) that have a direct interest in the vast riches
that they hope are available from nuclear power.  GE and Westinghouse e.g. are
both huge, diversified multinational companies heavily involved in both weapons
production and nuclear power.

The USG is also using nuclear power for immediate advantage.  Consider the
planned natural gas pipeline from Iran through Pakistan into India. The "peace
pipeline" would have tied the region together and opened the possibilities for
further peaceful integration. But the US set out to sabotage it by its nuclear
deal with India.  It tried to isolate its Iranian enemy by offering India
nuclear power in place of Iranian gas.

The US in fact violated the Non-proliferation Treaty by offering India nuclear
power.  India, like US clients Israel and Pakistan (but unlike Iran), is not an
NPT signatory, and developed nuclear weapons outside the treaty. The USG
effectively endorsed and facilitated this outlaw behavior.  The agreement
violated US law and bypassed the Nuclear Suppliers Group, the 45 nations that
established strict rules to lessen the danger of proliferation of nuclear weapons.

The agreement committed Washington to help New Delhi secure fuel supplies from
other countries even if India resumed testing. It also permitted India to free
up its limited domestic supplies for bomb production. Israel, the regional
nuclear superpower, has been lobbying Congress for privileges similar to
India’s, and has approached the Nuclear Suppliers Group with requests for
exemption from its rules. Now France, Russia and Australia have moved to pursue
nuclear deals with India, as China has with Pakistan.

Like all US Mideast/energy  politics,  the Indo-US deal mixes military and
commercial motives. Chomsky: "In most of the world, few can fail to see the
cynicism. Washington rewards allies and clients that ignore the NPT rules
entirely, while threatening war against Iran, which is not known to have
violated the NPT, despite extreme provocation." The threat of nuclear war is
extremely serious, and growing, and part of the reason is that the nuclear
states, led by the US, simply refuse to live up to their obligations or are
significantly violating them -- risking disaster.  --CGE