[Peace-discuss] young Lincoln on R3volution --

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sat Feb 14 11:08:38 CST 2009

He can be said to have reiterated the point in his First Inaugural Address:

  "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it.
Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise
their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to
dismember or overthrow it.

   "I can not be ignorant of the fact that many worthy and patriotic citizens
are desirous of having the National Constitution amended. While I make no
recommendation of amendments, I fully recognize the rightful authority of the
people over the whole subject, to be exercised in either of the modes prescribed
in the instrument itself; and I should, under existing circumstances, favor
rather than oppose a fair opportunity being afforded the people to act upon it.

   "I will venture to add that to me the convention mode seems preferable, in
that it allows amendments to originate with the people themselves, instead of
only permitting them to take or reject propositions originated by others, not
especially chosen for the purpose, and which might not be precisely such as they
would wish to either accept or refuse."

--he then goes on to say that he had no objection to the proposed Corwin
amendment to the Constitution (which had already been approved by both houses of
Congress to protect slavery in those states in which it already existed).

But did he "shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suited
him better"?  I'd say so, to the benefit of capitalists: the Civil War was the
second phase of the American version of the bourgeois revolution that circled
the globe from the 16th to the 20th centuries.

Wayne would say that it was to the benefit of statists, and honest capitalists
suffered from it.  --CGE