[Peace-discuss] RE: [sf-core] FW: Gerald Epstein | What's So Bad About a Banker Brain Drain?

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Mon Feb 16 00:33:27 CST 2009

>Back to the stone age!

>Back to average human lifetimes not exceeding ≈35 years.

>Back to having no communication with another except to what you to walk to.

>Back to ignorance.

Of course, there are some who would argue that returning to these things may not be all that bad.  It might be argued that it is not about the length of life as much as the quality of life no matter what its length.  While quality of life is arguably a subjective thing,  I am not sure if living into the 70’s, 80s, and 90s is such a desirable blessing if one is doing so as a someone’s  science project.  Moreover, once we leave the first world, many of the people do not benefit from first world advances and die young if they are not killed by wars and extermination made easier and more devastating by scientific advances and weaponry or through such scientifically possible manipulation of environmental conditions via biological controls and manipulations.

 It also could be argued that all the so-called advances has not come without its undesirable side effects and unintended consequences.  With this in mind, I have to say your response is sort of a glib reply; I certainly expected more from you than a black & white slogan response.

>Despite useful remarks about transparency (Most university research has been completely transparent) and the profits that derive from applications of >science, I find this comment, especially in the last paragraph, astonishing. The bitterness and resentment is misdirected.

Getting a little defensive are we?  I challenge you to go around with me to the various science and engineering departments as well as the administrative officers at this and other universities and ask them to identify and show use a list of all the research being done by members of their department or the university in the case of the university administrators and let us see the names of the funders and the contractual papers  that govern the use of those funds.  I bet that we would get very little cooperation much less information.  I say that this makes your statement about most university research being transparent questionable.

If one adds the fact that there is a lot of governmentally funded defense, national security, and law enforcement related research being conducted in and at universities around the country by academic researchers or academics serving as consultants which are to totally or in part  confidential or secret with those receiving funding signing or otherwise agreeing to non-disclosure agreements, one has further reason to doubt the extent of the transparency of information surrounding research at the university and who it is being done for and why it is being done.  Do we even know what percentage of university research is or is not of this type?  There also is a lot of contractual research going on at this and other universities for  private companies (some of which is funded by those companies, some by government grants, and some by a mix of the two).  In fact the amount of contractual research has been on the rise as has the privatization of a variety of things including research and research facilities, stadiums, etc. at universities – including publically funded state universities.

You really mean to tell me that scientists, engineers and academics are special types of people unlike everyone else in that they are not inclined to follow the money when designing and carrying out their research so as to get research grants and exploit funding opportunities, so as to set themselves up in a position to get lucrative consulting contracts, so as to establish a foundation for future side ventures and businesses.  I do not think that they are that pure, that they do not engage in pettiness, organizational and professional politics and backstabbing, ambitiousness and desire for fame, fortune, and power.  What percentage of academic research by scientists and engineers are being done in fields or areas or on topics and problems for which there is no grant money available from the government or private enterprises?

I don’t find any of my comments astonishing or outrageous; and any resentment and/or bitterness that I may have expressed is not totally misdirected.  I resent anyone who uses public resources for secret purposes or in  support of secret agendas or for private gain and benefit/profit.