[Peace-discuss] Bygones

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 18 01:23:31 CST 2009

"...We [viz., Obamans] have been some of the most articulate and vociferous
critics of the way the Bush administration handled things,” [the White House
counsel, Gregory B. Craig] said. “There has been a dramatic change of
direction.”  --NYT 2/17/09

"[The US regularly offers] the doctrine of 'change of course,' soberly invoked
whenever the stance of noble intent becomes impossible to sustain. True, bad
things have been done in the past for understandable reasons, but now all will
be different. So our terrorist wars against the church and other deviants in
Central America in the 1980s, leaving the region littered with hundreds of
thousands of tortured and mutilated victims and ruining its countries perhaps
beyond recovery, was really a war with the Russians. Now we will 'change course'
and lead the way to a bright future. The same line of argument had been used to
dismiss as irrelevant the enthusiastic support for 'that admirable Italian
gentleman' Mussolini (FDR, 1933) and for the moderate Hitler, both barring the
Bolshevik threat; the resurrection of fascist collaborators and destruction of
the anti-fascist resistance worldwide after the World War; the overthrow of
democracies and support for neo-Nazi monsters throughout the world in subsequent
years; and on, and on...

--Chomksy, 15 years ago <http://www.chomsky.info/articles/199401--02.htm>; see
also "After the War," 2003: <http://www.chomsky.info/talks/20031120.htm>.