[Peace-discuss] Fw: Afghanistan: More Troops Won’t Bring More Peace

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 18 12:34:59 CST 2009

FCNL is a cause worth supporting.
 --Jenifer

--- On Wed, 2/18/09, Joe Volk, FCNL <fcnl at fcnl.org> wrote:

Friends Committee on National Legislation
A Quaker Lobby in the Public Interest

Dear Jenifer Cartwright ,

Contribute today!
Last night, President Barack Obama signed the order to send 17,000 more U.S.. troops to Afghanistan. We expect Congress to vote in the next few weeks on whether to provide more money for expansion of this U.S. war. The message that War Is Not the Answer in Afghanistan, just as it wasn't in Iraq, has not gotten through to Congress and the president... yet.
We need your help to get out the message "Afghanistan: More Troops Won't Bring More Peace" to Congress, the president, and the country. Your contribution of $20, $40, $60, or $100 will help keep our lobbyists on Capitol Hill working to stop the U.S. escalation of this war.

We saw this coming, even before the November election. Last fall I asked our lobbyists and campaigns and communications staff to come up with a plan to oppose expansion of the U.S. war in Afghanistan. Saying no to more war is not enough, though. We want to answer the question, "War Is Not the Answer in Afghanistan, what is?"
Bombing civilians and wielding the barrel of a gun will only help extremists recruit more fighters. It failed in Iraq, and it will fail in Afghanistan.. What we need is diplomacy, development, and cooperation with China, Russia, Iran, Pakistan, India, and other important regional actors.
Our integrated strategy includes face-to-face lobbying on Capitol Hill and mobilizing tens of thousands of people around the country to take action. But we can't do it without your financial support. Your contribution of $20, $40, $60, or $100 will help keep our lobbyists on the Hill working to stop the U.S. escalation of this war.

You can help FCNL ask Congress to invest in long-term diplomacy and development assistance that will lead to a comprehensive peace in Afghanistan. Let's stop throwing more money at this war, which even key U.S. military leaders say won't lead to peace. The military industry may profit from this escalation, but no one else will benefit.
FCNL's Afghanistan Peace Campaign is up and running, and we need your help. We've written to President Obama - "Don't let Afghanistan become your Vietnam”- and we're putting the finishing touches on an initial statement that will go to every member of Congress. Right now, we don't have the money to print all the flyers we need to make sure Congress gets the message..
We also need to keep our lobbyists on Capitol Hill. They already have face-to-face meetings scheduled with congressional staff members to talk about what the United States should be doing differently in Afghanistan. But every meeting, every fax, and every visit costs us money.
Your contribution of $20, $40, $60, or $100 would help our lobbyists to spread the message: "War Is Not the Answer. Peace is possible through peaceful means. Even in Afghanistan."
Thank you,

Joe Volk
Executive Secretary

Update your email address, manage your FCNL email subscription, or unsubscribe from this list.
© 2009 Friends Committee on National Legislation | 245 2nd Street NE Washington, DC 20002 | 800-630-1330. Powered by ARCOS.