[Peace-discuss] Re: [Prairiegreens-org] Tim Wise on White Privilege, Anti-Racism, and Institutional Racism

Tracy Nectoux tracynectoux at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 08:58:33 CST 2009

We're never going to overcome racism in this country, Walter. We just have
to make sure the laws prevent legal *acts* of racism.

That being said, I read Tim Wise's essay of the same title a few months ago
(
http://www.redroom.com/blog/tim-wise/this-your-nation-white-privilege-updated).
I admit that I approached it with cynicism and not a little pre-hate. I
usually have a knee-jerk reaction to those who say that white = automatic
privilege and "ahead of the line" ease. I was raised by poor white trash.
And when I say poor, I don't mean that we couldn't afford cable. I don't
mean that my parents couldn't buy me the latest video game or 200.00 shoes.
I mean we sometimes didn't have a place to live. I mean free lunch,
government housing, and welfare hotels. It wasn't always this way, but it
was this way far too often.  I grew up in Louisiana, and--at
times--witnessed a *heck* of a lot of African Americans enjoying more
privilege than I did.

I'll also add that the Human Relations Commision in my city included people
of *all* races and religious belief, but me and my white gay and lesbian
brothers and sisters were deliberately excluded from participating in that
coalition for "civil rights" and we weren't included in its mission
statement. "Priviledge" is always parsed, and it means different things to
different people. blah, blah, poor me, moving on.

So I approached Wise's essay with a lot of rolling of the eyes and with my
personal baggage wide open.  I'm really glad I read it. I needed to read
it.  Sometimes I get a little myopic.  Wise points out so much that I didn't
even notice, especially about the last campaign. What he has to say is
pretty humbling, at least to me.

So thank you for posting this video, Walter. I'll be watching it. I probably
won't agree with all of it, but it'll be good for me.

Peace,
Tracy