[Peace-discuss] Raimondo on the war

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 27 20:57:16 CST 2009

	February 27, 2009
	The Silence of the Liberals
	As Obama launches "war on terrorism" II

I see that the Pentagon has reversed its old policy of refusing to allow
photographs of those flag-draped coffins as our dead soldiers return from the
battlefield. One wonders, however, how much interest there will be in taking and
publishing such photos now that President Barack Obama is in office. One also
wonders how long it will take the media to acknowledge the new quagmire we're
sinking into if and when the numbers of casualties start increasing – as they
are sure to do.

After all, Obama's war is going to be taking place on a much larger, more
difficult canvas than that of his predecessor's, which was confined in large
part to Iraq. All of Afghanistan will soon be teeming with newly-arrived US
soldiers, sent there – direct from Iraq – to fulfill the President's pledge to
start fighting the "right war" in the right way, a "smart" way. Oh, these guys
(and gals) are the Best and the Brightest, alright, aren't they?

The smarty-pants tone and style of this administration is already beginning to
grate on my nerves, as they pander to their base on the symbolic issues – like
the coffin question – in hopes no one will notice as they backtrack on more
important matters. So far, it doesn't seem to be working out all that well.
Glenn Greenwald isn't cutting them any slack on the torture brouhaha – he's
already pointed out that they'll still be torturing people, albeit not with
their own hands in some instances, and that if Guantanamo is closed, Bagram –
where similar activities are known to take place – is going to be open for
"business."

Most of the Obama-zoids are happy, however, because, after all, Keith Olbermann
assures them we've entered the new millennium, the Dear Leader is in the White
House, and all's right with the world. But is it?

Not by a long shot. Has anyone noticed Obama's vaunted 16-month
withdrawal-from-Iraq plan has already stretched into 19 months – and the
"residual force" he kept talking about during the campaign, as if it were a mere
afterthought, turns out to be 50,000 strong?

Originally, none of those "residuals" were supposed to be combat troops – yet
now we are told "some would still be serving in combat as they conducted
counterterrorism missions." You have to go all the way to the very end of
thisNew York Times report before you discover that, according to Pentagon press
secretary Geoff Morrell, "A limited number of those that remain will conduct
combat operations against terrorists, assisting Iraqi security forces."
In short: we aren't leaving.

I don't care what the status of forces agreement says: that document has more
loopholes than the bank bailout bill's provisions for paying back the American
taxpayers. Those 50,000 "residual" occupiers will simply pull back into their
permanent bases, which are even now being constructed throughout Iraq, to be
called on when our sock-puppets find themselves unable to tamp down the growing
spirit of rebellion.

What kind of a "withdrawal" is this? It is one so burdened with contingencies,
conditional footnotes, and amendatory clauses, that it falls beneath its own
weight and collapses into a fair approximation of the status quo.
Antiwar voters who cast their ballots for Obama have succeeded in rolling the
stone all the way up a rather steep hill, only to see it fall down the other
side – and we are right back where we started. The next hill is called
Afghanistan, and beyond that is yet another: Pakistan.

Not even Bush tried to fight a two-front war: Obama, however, is leaping into
Afghanistan with alarming speed. Sending those 17,000 troops was one of the
first acts of his administration, announced well before any of the economic
measures. The economy may be crumbling, but the empire cannot be allowed to go
the same way – that's the lunatic mentality of our rulers, whose priorities
reflect a Washington mindset still stuck in the glory days of American hegemony.

Under Obama, the military budget will rise by 4 percent, and this isn't counting
the costs of Iraq and Afghanistan. As Cato Institute research fellow Benjamin H.
Friedman puts it: "Many Americans believe that Barack Obama and the Democratic
majority in Congress will lower defense spending and restrain the militaristic
foreign policy it underwrites. The coming years should destroy that myth."

Yes, but myths die hard. It will take a couple of shiploads of flag-draped
coffins – and perhaps a couple of alarming incidents in Afghanistan and environs
– to wake up Obama's liberal supporters to what they're presently enabling with
their silent complicity. In the meantime, the creaking wheels of empire are
turning as we gather our forces for another even more perilous mission that will
take us straight into the fabled graveyard of would-be world-conquerors
otherwise known as Afghanistan. Why? How? To what purpose? A thousand questions
raise themselves up, like the first crocuses of spring – but the Obama
administration isn't answering, because no one of any importance is asking. Just
little old me – and, maybe you. And maybe Rachel Maddow, now and then: and
that's pretty much it. Surely the alleged "antiwar movement" isn't interested –
they're too busy hailing Obama's election.

The President's budget requests for Iraq and Afghanistan total $75 billion
through the fall, and $130 billion for next year. That means we'll be spending
nearly $11 billion per month for at least the next year and a half.

This bothers exactly no one in Washington, and especially not in the White House
or the Democratic caucus chamber: after all, these people believe that
government spending – anysort of spending – is what will fix our ailing economy
right now. So why not increase the mis-named "defense" budget, anyway – don't
you want an economic recovery, or are you, like Rush Limbaugh, hoping the
President will fail?

Yes, you know we've entered a new era when I start citing Limbaugh favorably,
and yet that's the sad part about all this: it is now left to Limbaugh and his
talk radio confreres to point out the backsliding and howling hypocrisy in this
administration's policies, both foreign and domestic, because the liberals –
with a few exceptions – have been struck dumb by their "victory."

http://www.antiwar.com/justin/?articleid=14319