[Peace-discuss] Re: Nuisance Ordinance and Racism

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Sun Jan 4 13:28:15 CST 2009

>Absolutely incorrect.  You apparently missed a couple of references in the
statute to the "trier of fact".  The "trier of fact" IS a court of law.
This >preponderance of evidence of "nuisance activity" has to be determined
by a court of law - which is, in our society, the traditional check on
police and >other executive abuse.

Unless this is a special legal phrase, the "trier of fact" does not have to
be a court of law; it can be an administrative hearing officer, and formal
or informal administrative court set up by the executive officers of the
City under municipal ordinances, administrative policies, by-laws or  just
an administrator. It is unclear if the "trier of fact" even needs to be an
attorney with a law degree who has passed the bar.

>Section B(3) refers to a "hearing officer".  I don't know if that would be
a judge or some ancillary official.  I also don't know whether the defendant
>could request a jury trial in such cases.  But the "trier of fact"
ascertaining guilt and imposing the fine is a court, which is all the due
process that >anyone in our society can expect or hope for.

It is also unclear if the "trier of fact" is indeed a court of law or an
administrative court, if the actions are civil, criminal, or administrative,
or if the accused is given both substantive and procedural due process
(e.g., can they have a lawyer present, do they have the right to subpoena
city personnel and records, can they call witnesses, can they cross-examine
witnesses, do the rules of perjury apply to testimony, can they challenge
the right of the hearing officer to hear the case, can they call into
question how a "preponderance of evidence" is determined or the competency
of those who have filed the nuisance charges, etc.?).

These sorts of ordinances are typically as problematic to establish
constitutionality for or implement as are pornography, loitering, blight
ordinances; they often fail the test of constitutionality when challenged in
"real" courts of law for one reason or another (typically for being too
vague and ambiguous, for being in conflict with other constitutional
provisions, or for being too arbitrary and capricious in their enforcement
and/or applications).