[Peace-discuss] Race is on for Rahm's Seat

Matt Reichel mattreichel at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 7 02:18:36 CST 2009

Race is on for Rahm's seat, and it's filled with political newcomers

By JESSICA PUPOVAC
Booster Editor

http://www.chicagojournal.com/main.asp?SectionID=48&SubSectionID=141&ArticleID=6745

The
date for a special election to replace Rahm Emanuel as the Fifth
Congressional District representative has been set for April 7, Gov.
Rod Blagojevich announced Monday. But the real contest-the special
primary, which will name the Democratic candidate-will be a month
prior, on March 3.
The
shotgun race for the coveted seat, which catapulted its last two
occupants onto bigger and better things, has already attracted over a
dozen contenders, all of them registered Democrats.
At least
four long-time Chicago politicians-Cook County Commissioner Mike
Quigley, State Reps. Sarah Feigenholtz and John Fritchey and Ald. Gene
Schulter (47th Ward)-are in the game, and confirmed their candidacy
this week.
But
campaigns are also being launched by a throng of newcomers, all hoping
that a mounting distrust of career politicians, heightened by the
Blagojevich scandal, could prompt voters in the Fifth District to opt
for a wild-card.
As Booster
went to print on Tuesday, no less than eleven candidates had registered
their candidacy with the Federal Election Commission. One of those had
already dropped out, and an additional two confirmed their candidacy
but had not yet registered.
Matt
Reichel, a peace activist and former campaigner for U.S. Rep Dennis
Kucinich, is one of the registered rookies hoping to pierce his way
into Illinois politics.
"This is
the best time we've had probably in decades in this district to do
something like this," said Reichel, who grew up in Ravenswood and now
lives in Andersonville. According to Reichel, the Fifth District seat
has traditionally been occupied by "real machine, real conservative
Democrats."
"When I
looked at the initial lineup, I saw there was nothing even approaching
a progressive candidate. No one even close. I thought now would be a
good time to start organizing a campaign," Reichel said.
Charles
Wheelan, another newcomer, lives in Lincoln Park, teaches public policy
at the University of Chicago and is a former Midwest correspondent for
the Economist. Wheelan says the stories of two prominent Illinois
leaders inspired him to run.
"I think
people like Obama are showing us you can be a smart and thoughtful
candidate and still get political traction," Wheelan said. "At the same
time, people like Blagojevich remind us of what happens when we don't
get involved, because we leave a vacuum and people like him fill it."
"I've been
outside the system throwing bricks," Wheelan said. "From a personal
standpoint, it just felt like now was the time to put on a helmet and
get in the game."
Although
Justin Oberman, a Lincoln Park resident, grew up in a political family,
he's campaigning as a 'fresh start' candidate. Oberman's tapping into
his experience with the Transportation Security Administration and as a
consultant for investment funds. His father was alderman of the 43rd
Ward in the 1970s and '80s.
"We are in
a situation now where we don't only have an economic downturn that has
affected people's livelihood, we have a complete crisis of trust in our
political system," Oberman told Booster. "I think people are really
looking for fresh voices in Chicago, Springfield and Washington."
Among
other political newcomers who have filed with the Federal Election
Commission for this seat are Jan Donatelli, a former commercial pilot,
Navy veteran and recent Obama campaign activist who lives in Lincoln
Park;Victor Forys, a doctor in Ravenswood who emigrated from Poland and
graduated from Lane Tech and UIC; Joey Vartanian, owner of two bars in
Lincoln Park and one in Wrigleyville; Cary Capparelli, a marketing
consultant and member of the Illinois International Port District
board, and Israel Vasquez, whose occupation is not known.
Two
additional contenders, lawyers Tom Geoghegan of and Jay Paul Deranty,
have also announced their candidacies, but neither had registered with
the FEC at the time of this publication.
State Rep.
Deborah Mell from the 40th District, a gay rights activist and
sister-in-law of the current governor, registered her candidacy with
the FEC within days of Emanuel being poached by the Obama
administration. But Mell quickly reversed her decision.
Staffers
of aldermen Thomas Allen (38th Ward) and Patrick O'Connor (40th Ward)
were unsure if their bosses still planned on running. Both initially
expressed their intention of entering the race but have not yet filed
the necessary paperwork with the FEC.
According
to FEC spokesman Bob Biersack, candidates can test the waters for some
time before filing their paperwork, but cannot raise or spend more than
$5,000 without first registering with the Commission. As of Tuesday,
Schulter and Fritchey were not among the eleven registered candidates.
In the
meantime, although the Fifth District is a captainless ship, calls to
its office are being answered. A representative at the district office
in Washington, D.C., said today that office staff would "continue to
serve the people of the Fifth" as the process of filling the
congressional seat continues.