[Peace-discuss] Blago-Burris circus

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Thu Jan 8 08:21:31 CST 2009

C. G. Estabrook wrote:
> Sadly the Declaration has no -- zero -- standing in US law.  And of
> course it is
> a deeply conflicted document -- e.g., in its treatment of indigenes.
I suppose you are referring to this statement, perhaps indelicately
expressed but
quite likely accurate and indisputable at the time.

/He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us,
and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers,
the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare,
is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

/Some where in Jefferson's writings I recall him addressing the
endeavours made to
work with or assimilate the "natives" into the society, in which he
said, iirc, essentially
that the chiefs did not wish to associate with them since their status
as chiefs would be reduced
if they joined the American society.  It might be the 2nd inaugural address?

> Its partially assimilated Enlightenment principles can be a guide
> towards a just
> polity, but it is in no sense an organic law.
some of the state constitutions did indeed  incorporate the Natural
Rights provision of the DofI,
notably Massachusetts, and on the basis of that* "Article I. All men are
born free and equal,
and have certain natural, essential, and unalienable rights; among which
may be reckoned the
right of enjoying and defending their lives and liberties; that of
acquiring, possessing,
and protecting property; in fine, that of seeking and obtaining their
safety and happiness*.",
A Negro slave known as Mum Bett won her freedom in the Massachusetts
court in 1781 on this provision,
collected back pay as damages and changed her name to Elizabeth Freeman.

Of course Lincoln did much to strengthen the status of the Declaration
through his remarks at Gettysburg.

I am not sure who it was that said that the Declaration is the Charter
and the Constitution and Amendments the ByLaws.
It wasnt original with me, and I am sure it wasnt any Libertarian I
heard it from either.

There ought to be higher Natural Laws from which any constitution and
rule of law is established.

/Even when pressed by the *demands of _inner truth_*, men do not easily
assume the task of opposing their government's policy, especially in
time of war.
Nor does the human spirit move without great difficulty against all the
apathy of conformist thought within one's own bosom and in the
surrounding world

/There has got to be an inner truth, something against which there is no
law.  It's clear that the Apostle Paul didn't live in /*Urbana*/.

> The 1787 Constitution, on the other hand, is a purposely retrograde
> document,
> designed to establish mechanisms to put down the drive to democracy
> (e.g.,
> Shays' Rebellion), especially economic democracy.  (And the drafting
> of the
> document was treasonous, because the authors had sworn allegiance to the
> Articles of Confederation.)  The leading author of the Constitution,
> James
> Madison -- whose diary is the principal source for the secret
> deliberations --
> understood that well: he wrote that the goal was “to protect the
> minority of the
> opulent from the majority.” --CGE
Their times were certainly interesting also.