[Peace-discuss] letter to the editor and "Lux Libertas"

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 9 22:51:16 CST 2009

Wayne--

Congratulations on the advent of Lux Libertas.

Some points in your letter have been the subject of discussion on the
peace-discuss list, and your consideration of the Declaration of Independence
has had its influence: e.g., I found myself discussing it today on "News from
Neptune" -- pointing out that Mr. Jefferson's central argument is that no
government has "a right to exist" (as, notably, the Israeli government claims)
unless it secures human rights. (And for Israel that means, of course, for
everyone under its control -- everyone living between the Jordan and the Sea.)

That argument is probably more important today than it was in 1776. (But surely
John Adams was wrong to say, 35 years later, "The Declaration of Independence I
always considered as a theatrical show; Jefferson ran away with the stage effect
of all that..")

For freedom & enlightenment,
CGE

PS--The pedant in me (never far from the surface) was going to force me to note
that "Lux Libertas" is a two-noun phrase, and that's not quite so easy to do in
Latin as it is in English (e.g., "dog house") or (I gather) Chinese -- and to
wonder if perhaps you meant "Lux et Libertas" or "Lux Libertatis"?

Then it occurred to me that you might be playing on the traditional view that
Urim and Thummim should be translated as "Light and Truth," the Latin equivalent
of which (Lux et Veritas) is popular in university mottoes: "Lux et Veritas" for
Indiana University and the University of Montana; "Lux, Veritas, Virtus" for
Northeastern University; etc. (In fact, Urim and Thummim is emblazoned across
the open book pictured on the coat of arms of a boys' school in Connecticut, and
"Lux et Veritas" appears below on a banner.)

So, ah, enlighten me. Wodjameen?